This position is for a full-time day hiking and naturalist guide. Most days will be spent in the front-country of Yosemite leading small groups on various hiking and/or educational tours. You would also act as trip leader for occasional campground and lodge-based multi-day trips up to 4 days in duration.
- Excellent conversational, group management, & leadership skills
- Strong interpretive skills including knowledge of local ecology & history
- Exceptional knowledge of Yosemite day hiking trails
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR training is the minimum medical certification we accept
- California Food Handler's Certificate
- Leave No Trace Awareness Course
- Twenty-one years of age
- Vehicle in good working order
- Availability from May 15-Sept 30, though exact dates are flexible
-Knowledge of the Sierra Nevada backcountry (Yosemite to Mt Whitney including the John Muir Trail)
- Prior experience with leading adults and youth on wilderness adventures.
- SYMG offers backpacking, rock climbing and interpretive day hiking trips. Ideally, guides will specialize in at least one of these disciplines and be competent in others.
- Some guides have other credentials such as Search and Rescue, Paramedic, AMGA/PCGI certifications, Orvis Fly-fishing School, etc.
Southern Yosemite Mountain Guides is one of North America's premier active travel & guiding services. Founded in 1991 and based outside of the south entrance of Yosemite (Oakhurst/Bass Lake), SYMG specializes in backpacking, stock-supported trekking, rock climbing and natural history trips. We operate primarily in the Sierra Nevada, from Yosemite south through Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks. We are proud to have been named "Best Outfitter on Earth" and "Best Adventure Travel Company" by National Geographic Adventure Magazine. SYMG typically employs 15 guides during the summer guiding season. Full time guides average 20 days of work per month in the high season with irregular schedules.