Internship Dates: March 1st, 2022 — August 26th, 2022
The Youth Garden Project (YGP) is a non-profit organization located in the red rock country of Moab, UT. Our mission is to cultivate healthy children, families, and community through educational programs and connecting people with food from seed to table. We are looking for individuals interested in working as an educator in a hands-on, outdoor setting within a variety of our elementary educational programs. In the spring, we host two After-School Programs, lead Garden Classroom Field Trips, and run a weeklong Spring Break Camp—all of which will be facilitated primarily by two instructors. During the summer, four instructors collaborate to implement our nine-week Summer Camp program.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plan and lead activities for two After-School Programs.
• Develop and facilitate garden-based activities for Spring Break Camp.
• Teach Garden Classroom Field Trips for all Grand County students (Preschool-6th grades) using YGP’s curriculum.
• Co-facilitate any Middle and High School workshops or class visits with the rest of the Youth Programs team, as needed.
• Four interns will work as a cohesive team to run YGP’s nine-week Summer Camp program.
• Interns will receive an in-depth training prior to leading the Summer Camp program, including behavior management techniques, discipline policies, lesson planning, and more.
• All interns will plan, organize, and lead the Summer Camp program with guidance and support from the Youth Programs Director. Daily Summer Camp responsibilities include, but are not limited to: ensure overall smoothness of the Summer Camp day including safety of campers; enforce YGP discipline policies with campers; prepare materials for activities & snacks; manage groups of children while building relationships/rapport with them; teach two-three 45 minute activities per day with co-instructors; encourage campers to learn, have fun, & connect with the garden; communicate with parents/guardians regarding campers’ behavior, and other duties as necessary.
• Each intern will play a role in the instruction and development of Summer Camp weeks. This includes, but is not limited to: creating experiential, fun, & educational activities related to assigned Summer Camp theme; submitting detailed activity plans for review; sharing & coaching co-instructors in regards to your activities; providing positive & constructive feedback to co-workers, etc.
• Interns will work 35 hours per week on average during the spring (schedule varies) and 45 hours per week on average during the summer (M-F, 8am-5pm). The majority of the work day, especially during the summer season, is spent working directly with kids.
• Interns should expect to be outside the majority of the day, in all weather types.
Desired Skills: applicants must be 21 or older
• Responsible and reliable
• Works well independently and in a team setting
• Demonstrates a strong work ethic and enthusiasm for the YGP mission
• Interest in experiential education and a desire to work with youth
• Problem solver who is flexible and able to improvise
• Has an open mind and willingness to be involved with YGP beyond its youth programs working either hands-on in the garden or at special events.
About The Youth Garden Project
The Youth Garden Project (YGP) is a non-profit organization located in the breathtaking red rock scenery of Moab, UT with the mission of cultivating healthy children, families, and community through educational programs and connecting people with food from seed to table.