The Outdoor School Manager is responsible for overseeing the Whitewater Center summer camps, outdoor education and staff within the Outdoor School (OS). While supporting the vision and continued expansion of the school, the OS Manager will oversee a team of full-time staff and up to 50 part-time employees. The OS Manager is a full-time, on-site, benefits eligible position, and reports directly to the Outdoor Activities Director.
• Daily management of program operations, including but not limited to, engaging customer needs, staff forecasting and scheduling, emergency response call and logistical support.
• Oversee recruiting, hiring, training, and daily management of all program staff.
• Oversee ongoing program development and expansion.
• Organizing and managing both logistical and operational needs for Whitewater Center instruction and certification courses
• Work directly with the OS Team to ensure all logistical needs are set to ensure program success.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must be 21 years of age or older.
• Possess a 4-year degree in Outdoor Recreation, Business, or another related field.
• Minimum 3 years of experience managing a summer camp program.
• Certifications in CPR and First Aid
• Prior experience in teaching outdoor education programs; Wilderness Medicine, Backpacking, Mountain Biking, or other related topics
• Safety-oriented, patient, organized, enthusiastic, and flexible.
• Able to communicate clearly and effectively with employees and guests.
• Excellent driving record with no major infractions or unsafe conduct – position requires driving a 15-passenger van while towing utility trailers of varying sizes.
• Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and other Whitewater events as needed.
• Wilderness medicine certifications.
• Prior experience in managing overnight camps.
• Must be able to work outdoors for sustained periods of time in all weather and environmental conditions.
• Must be able to lift and carry at least 50 pounds.
• Must be able to bend, stand, lean, and kneel on a regular basis and for sustained periods of time.
• Must be able to safely self-transport over uneven terrain or in a confined space.
• Must be able to work in shared spaces with other employees and customers.
• All positions as Whitewater require employees to report and work onsite at Whitewater locations.
Access to Whitewater Center’s pass activities
Staff discount program and pro deals
Medical, Vision, Dental, FSA
Paid Time Off
Overview of Department
The Outdoor Activities Department is responsible for leading and supporting experiences in a variety of water and land-based sports. The department also instructs guests through the Whitewater Center’s Outdoor School and Summer Camps. Outdoor Activities employees engage with guests through an assortment of pass activities and help create memorable outdoor experiences.
About U.S. National Whitewater Center
The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is dedicated to the promotion of the active lifestyle. Since 2006, the USNWC has been promoting access to the outdoors for all levels of participants through its 30+ land and water-based activities, outdoor instruction and certification programs, festivals, races, films, and various outdoor events throughout the year. Whether you visit the Center’s 1,300 acres on the Catawba River or engage in the brand’s mission through one of our off-site initiatives, the USNWC empowers guests to play, relax, and learn outside.