Trail Technicians at the Whitewater Center are responsible for sustaining and developing the Trail System. The Whitewater Center conserves and maintains 1,300 acres of land in Charlotte, NC with over 30 miles of developed, mixed-use trails. This is an on-site, full-time, hourly, benefits eligible position that reports directly to the Trail Maintenance Manager.
• Perform all aspects of trail maintenance and construction as assigned by the Trail Maintenance Manager.
• Responsibilities include building of new segments of mixed-use trail as well as performing rehabilitation and restoration on existing trail.
• Clean, repair, and construct drainage systems
• Help with the installation of log and rock retainer bars and steps.
• Construct and inspect bridges and other man-made elements.
• Maintain trail features such as causeways, riprap and rock armor structures, and cribbing trail tread.
• Comply with department and company policies including standards for work quality, safety, and operations.
• Regularly assist the Race Manager and Events team with the planning, preparation, and execution of trail races and events.
• Assist other teams with projects and assignments as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Experience in trail maintenance and conservation.
• Proficiency working with a variety of trade tools – shovels, picks, McLeods, rakes, axes, Pulaskis, various types of saws (e.g., pole, hand etc.), loppers, chisels, sledgehammers, single jacks, rock bars, measuring tapes, levels, squares, ropes, etc.
• Ability to read and interpret documents with strong attention to detail – e.g., safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions, and other manuals.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
• Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and during Whitewater events as needed.
• Must be able to safely self-transport over uneven terrain or in a confined space.
• Must be able to bend, lean, stand, and kneel on a regular basis and for sustained periods of time.
• Must be able to lift and move at least 50 pounds.
• Must be able to work outdoors for sustained periods of time and in all weather and environmental conditions.
• Must be able to work in shared spaces with other employees and customers.
• All positions at Whitewater require employees to report and work onsite at Whitewater locations.
• Access to the Whitewater Center’s pass activities
• Staff discount program and pro deals
• Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA
About U.S. National Whitewater Center
The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is dedicated to the promotion of the active lifestyle. Since 2006, the USNWC has been promoting access to the outdoors for all levels of participants through its 30+ land and water-based activities, outdoor instruction and certification programs, festivals, races, films, and various outdoor events throughout the year. Whether you visit the Center’s 1,300 acres on the Catawba River or engage in the brand’s mission through one of our off-site initiatives, the USNWC empowers guests to play, relax, and learn outside.