The Ogden Nature Center is a nonprofit nature education center and nature preserve. Our mission is to unite people with nature and nurture appreciation and stewardship of the environment. We are recruiting one AmeriCorps member for 11 months of service to begin approximately January 30th, 2023. This position is offered through Utah Conservation Corps.
This position offers a unique opportunity to gain experience and practice a wide range of skills including habitat restoration, noxious weed management, environmental education, volunteer supervision and community event management.
• Perform events related to environmental stewardship or environmental education.
• Work closely with the land manager and volunteer coordinator in habitat restoration and noxious weed management.
• Plan and lead volunteers in planting and seeding project areas, release of biocontrol agents, as well as the mechanical removal of weeds through digging, mowing, and pruning.
• Record keeping, monitoring and report writing.
• Assist with summer camps, homeschool, preschool, community programs, outreach, and on-site school field trips.
• Assist with the planning and organizing of special events.
• Provide programs for groups with special needs, such as underserved populations, elderly and developmentally disabled.
• Community Education – assist with community program development, implementation, and strengthen community awareness.
• Develop a data tracking plan and collect and report AmeriCorps impact data timely and accurately.
• Education staff work a 4/10 schedule, allowing for 3-day weekends except for special events or programs.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a 1700 hr. AmeriCorps position that comes with these benefits:
• $17,500 living allowance (paid in even disbursements throughout term of service.
• $6,495 education award (available to members after successful service term) Federal, student loan forbearance and workers comp for all members.
• Insurance benefits for 1700 hr. members.
• Opportunity to develop job skills in environmental education and nonprofit fields.
• Individual health insurance.
• Discounts at the Nest Gift Shop.
• On-site subsidized housing is available for interested AmeriCorps members ($300 month includes all utilities except internet/tv). Housing is a shared living space and with one to two other Ogden Nature Center employees. Private furnished bedroom in large farmhouse. The lease term runs the length of the AmeriCorps program. There are currently two dogs on the property, no other pets allowed while those live onsite.
• College graduate preferred. Science or teaching degrees preferred.
• Interested in conservation and environmental education.
• A valid driver’s license and good driving record.
• Ability to perform strenuous outdoor work.
• Ability to make a 1700-hour (February 1st –December 15th) time commitment. This requires a 35–40-hour work week during our regular business hours and occasional evening and weekend hours.
• Articulate and an excellent writer.
• Computer proficient (Word, Excel, email).
For the full position description and application instructions, please visit: https://www.usu.edu/ucc/files/2023_ONC_Habitat_Restoration_and_Environmental_EducationPD.pdf
About Utah Conservation Corps
Utah Conservation Corps is an AmeriCorps program made up of members, staff, and partners dedicated to service to our community and environment. We engage in projects throughout the state of Utah that address goals relating to environmental conservation, leadership, education, and sustainability.
UCC AmeriCorps members have committed to a term of service for their country that may range from 3 months to a year. Our members are individuals seeking opportunities to give back, to improve the environment and explore the beauty of Utah's public lands. Many of our members are current students or recent graduates looking to gain experience in the fields of natural resource conservation, education, or social services.
Utah Conservation Corps is a program of Utah State University's Center for Community Engagement.