The Backcountry Interpretive Guide develops and leads interpretive environmental education programs in backcountry settings. Walking Mountains’ Backcountry Programs include full day 10+ mile backcountry hikes in high alpine environments as well as shorter themed hiking programs on topics such as alpine wildflowers, mycology, birding and more. This position works closely with the Community Outreach Coordinator to develop and guide high level backcountry hiking programs that expand Walking Mountains’ mission to ‘awaken a sense of wonder and inspire environmental stewardship through natural science education’.
• Plan, prepare, and present a variety of creative high content level programs.
o Extended hiking treks and educational outings.
o One-time contract and private hiking programs.
o Community Science trainings & field programs.
• Provide high quality customer service and educational experiences in backcountry settings.
• Actively research and expand knowledge of general Rocky Mountain ecology and specialized fields such as botany and ornithology.
• Other program planning, teaching responsibilities, and special projects, as assigned.
• Work in partnership with Community Outreach Coordinator and Community Programs Director to create program marketing plans.
• Use program registration software to monitor and communicate with program participants.
• Collect photos and other marketing content and assist in the creation of program and destination-specific marketing materials.
• Document and record participation numbers and use data on public lands.
o BA/BS in science, interpretation, education, or an environmental science-related field (or equivalent experience)
o Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certifications
o At least 1 year of field experience in interpretation and/or environmental education including programs for adult audiences
o At least 1 year of remote backcountry leadership and adventure experience
o Excellent public speaking skills
o General knowledge of the natural and cultural resources of the Rocky Mountains
About Walking Mountains Science Center
Founded in 1998 with their base in Avon, Colorado, Walking Mountains Science Center’s mission is to awaken a sense of wonder and inspire environmental stewardship and sustainability through natural science education. As part of a dynamic organization, you will join a team of like-minded, spirited colleagues who are passionate about the mission of Walking Mountains and the impact it’s making in the community. For more information, please visit our website at www.walkingmountains.org.