Wild Society (wildsociety.org) is a wilderness education nonprofit based in Kitsap County in Washington State. Our mission is to cultivate wonder and belonging in the natural world.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual excited to help us grow as an organization with the support of volunteers, community partners, donors, board members, and program participants. You will have the opportunity to help guide the future direction of our work alongside our Development and Communications Director and Board of Directors.
Wild Society prioritizes diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and we encourage individuals from all cultures and communities to apply, especially BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, people of color), women, non-cis-gendered people, and other people underrepresented in outdoor organizations. In ecosystems and human societies alike, we know that diversity makes communities stronger. Thank you for considering joining us.
– Program planning, logistics, and implementation.
– Guide after-school programs, summer camps, community events, etc.
– Hire seasonal guides, plan and facilitate staff training, support staff in the field.
– Curriculum development for programs, design and implement pilot programs that are mission aligned.
– Work with community partners to develop relationships and programs.
– Work with staff to continually reexamine organizational practices around justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
– Manage the volunteer coordinator and volunteer program.
– Help design and manage the organizational budget.
– Assist co-director with program outreach and marketing efforts as needed.
– Manage the scholarship program and fund.
– Non-profit administration, including bookkeeping, insurance, human resources, etc. in collaboration with co-director and other Wild Society staff and volunteers.
- Must have a personal vehicle and valid drivers license.
- Comfortable driving a 15 passenger mini bus, must be 21 years of age or older and maintain a good driving record.
- Access to the internet and computer required, positions are 100% remote except for programs, which all take place on public land.
- Willingness to meet weekly or as-needed, both remote and in-person in Kitsap County (when safe to do so. Meetings are currently remote or outside and physically distanced due to Covid-19).
- Strong sense of personal relationship with the natural world.
- Two years experience teaching (especially outdoors).
- One year experience managing staff and/or volunteers.
- Experience backpacking, camping, hiking, etc.
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification or ability to obtain in the next three months.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to think creatively.
- Welcoming people from different backgrounds, willingness to listen and learn.
- Experience in curriculum writing, program design, and program implementation.
- Backpack guiding experience.
- Knowledge of the Olympic Mountains and Kitsap County.
- Non-profit management work.
- Experience working with budgets.
- Creative, collaborative, and self-directed mindset.
- Ability to operate at multiple operational levels—both big picture and details.
About Wild Society
Wild Society works to establish relationships between human hearts and the everyday wild. We’re an outdoor education nonprofit based in Kitsap County, WA that provides backcountry hikes, year-round naturalist programs, and community events for all ages.