NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
The NOLS Wilderness Medicine Finance Assistant works closely with the Finance Manager and others to facilitate financial processes in Wilderness Medicine. Additionally, this position provides support to Wilderness Medicine Programming and course sponsors.
Strong communication skills and attention to detail are the keystones of this position. The Finance Assistant (FA) must possess the ability to work independently, solve problems creatively, and prioritize complex variables. The position relies on learning and utilizing a clear understanding of the NOLS Wilderness Medicine mission, organizational system, and sponsor and instructor policies to perform the responsibilities listed. Required skills include computer literacy, email capability, attention to detail, and clear communication. Preferred skills include background in basic accounting. Familiarity with NOLS Wilderness Medicine is a plus.
Leadership or Supervisory Duties
Functions as an integral member of the NOLS Wilderness Business Operations team. Serves as primary support to the Wilderness Medicine Finance Manager for reimbursement processing. Networks internally with all Wilderness Medicine administrative staff to update database records, ensuring accuracy and validity of information. Communicates regularly with Wilderness Medicine instructors to coordinate and report on the status of financial transactions. Serves as a primary liaison between the Wilderness Medicine department and NOLS Finance payroll teams to prepare and submit instructor contracts.
Coordinates NOLS Wilderness Medicine instructor financial support.
- Works with Wilderness Medicine Finance Manager to process instructor reimbursements (1,500+ annually).
- Prepares Wilderness Medicine instructor contracts for bimonthly submission to NOLS Finance ($1.6 million annually), which includes tracking details in Wilderness Medicine’s database and facilitating time card collection for some contract locations.
- Supports processes for human resources paperwork collection and annual faculty position training fund, as well as other varieties of requisition paperwork.
- Supports instructors using NOLS Wilderness Medicine’s online roster platform Roll Call.
- Corresponds with instructors to troubleshoot and process requests as needed by the Wilderness Medicine Admissions Team and the Wilderness Medicine Finance Manager.
- Manages on-going office projects that directly support instructors on course.
- Assists NOLS Wilderness Medicine Finance Manager with reconciling daily bank deposits and sponsor billing.
Work Location and Compensation
NOLS World Headquarters, Lander, WY. Part time (20 hours/week), temporary (through August 31, 2022). Current employees and residents in the state of Colorado please contact HR for salary information.
NOLS can currently employ remote employees who are legal residents of: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, New York, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming. Please note not all locations in all states listed are eligible. For specific locations please reach out to the recruiter listed below in the ‘How to Apply’ section. Current employees and residents in the state of Colorado please contact HR for salary information.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email [email protected] with your request.
- A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
- NOLS participates in E-verify.
- Current NOLS employees please note it is NOLS policy to conduct an internal reference check with human resources and/or your current supervisor as part of the reference check process. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact human resources.
How to Apply
Send Cover Letter and Resume, and any questions to: Jennifer Berry, Business Operations Director at [email protected]
Closing Date for Applications
Posted June 23, 2022. Open until filled.
The target start date for this role is two weeks from the time of offer.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.