Coordinates in-field aspects of fall wilderness based programming from September 1st through October 21st, 2022. This includes all trip logistics and the physical and emotional safety of participants, while engaging them in rock climbing activities. Climbing instructors may also lead other programming for BOLD & GOLD, including backpacking, hiking, mountaineering, and paddling.
What you’ll be doing:
1. Facilitate the learning of outdoor skills during our 1-8 day wilderness-based rock climbing courses. May also lead programming including backpacking, hiking, mountaineering, and paddling.
2. Ensure both a physically and an emotionally safe environment.
3. Create values-forming experiences for adolescents.
4. Create an inclusive environment for youth in the outdoors.
5. Liaise with teacher/adult chaperones from partner organizations.
6. Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Two years of experience or more working with teens in an organized setting, including facilitating activities addressing issues facing adolescents.
2. Professional and/or instructional experience in backpacking, rock climbing, kayaking, and/or mountaineering.
3. Experience in program planning and administration.
4. Excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
5. Strong group facilitation, communication, and conflict resolution skills.
6. Experience facilitating activities addressing issues.
1. 21 years of age or older.
2. Current Driver’s License with a minimum 3 years safe driving experience and a driving record which meets or exceeds YMCA standards
3. Other applicable education, training, and experience, which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position will be considered.
4. Maximum one minor violation
5. No speeding violation of more than 20mph over the limit
1. Current W-EMT, WFR, or WFA, and CPR
2. WA State Food Handlers Permit
3. Prefer knowledge of and previous experience with, diverse populations (language, culture, race, physical ability, sexual orientation, etc.). Ability to speak any language in addition to English may be helpful.
4. Experience with anti-racism practices.
About YMCA BOLD & GOLD
The BOLD (Boys Outdoor Leadership Development) & GOLD (Girls Outdoor Leadership Development) Program is dedicated to inspiring courage and confidence in diverse groups middle and high school aged participants through outdoor adventures. We engage over 1,000 youth annually on outdoor experiences ranging in length from 1 to 15 days in public lands including State Parks, National Forests, and National Parks. Activities include backpacking, rock climbing, mountaineering, fishing, yoga, art, music, literature, backcountry cooking, and having fun in nature.
Our goal is to increase confidence, courage, emotional intelligence, wonder, and community awareness in participants. We believe these traits are the foundations of leadership and work to inspire participants to develop their own leadership style. We prepare young people, from middle school on, to return to their communities as leaders through multicultural experiential education in the natural world.