YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward on Cape Cod is hiring Outdoor Educators who are passionate about working with youth and spending time outdoors. Join us for our summer and fall seasons! This summer, help lead our summer Adventure Trips- guiding groups of teens on adventures including surfing, biking, scuba diving, camping, and more!
Then, as the summer season comes to a close, our Outdoor Educators will transition to support the wide variety of groups who come through our camp in the fall. These groups include: specialty youth groups who don’t often have the opportunity to spend time outdoors, schools and universities offering environmental science, teambuilding and community-building retreats, and charity fundraisers for many different causes.
This job is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference, build a strong community, and explore Cape Cod and New England.
JOB DUTIES (Summer):
• Co-lead 10-12 campers on 6 to 12 day co-ed excursions around Cape Cod, the Islands, and beyond, while ensuring safety of participants at all times
• Be a good role model for fellow staff members and campers, and embody the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility
• Facilitate meal planning and preparation
• Create a fun environment, foster a positive group dynamic, and facilitate debriefing of group activities to encourage learning and growth
• Effectively teach outdoor and trip-specific skills to campers. All necessary skills are taught during staff training; no specific skills required prior to employment. Outside professionals facilitate some activities, including surfing, SCUBA, and rock climbing.
• Drive vehicles & manage trip finances and logistics
JOB DUTIES (Fall):
• Lead outdoor programming with confidence and enthusiasm
• Facilitate the safe use of our waterfront and challenge course elements
• Provide friendly and helpful customer service to all of our guests
• Support cleaning and dining operations
• Participate in grounds and facility maintenance
$400/week • We provide staff lodging, all meals while working, and free access to laundry machines and internet. This position provides a great opportunity to develop leadership skills both personally and professionally and in a wide range of outdoor pursuits. You will be working as part of a supportive, experienced, and fun-loving community – all while enjoying the beauty of Cape Cod!
Rolling start date throughout the summer: earliest arrival is June 13. Season runs through late October.
• Passion for working outdoors with people of all ages
• Desire to facilitate experiential education and teambuilding programs
• 21+ years old with a clean driving record
• Current Lifeguard and First Aid/CPR Certifications/willingness to obtain prior to start date
• Previous experience outdoors and working with youth
• Safety-conscious, energetic, flexible, responsible, patient, fun and compassionate
• Physical ability to spend long, active hours outdoors in all elements
About YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward
Based in beautiful Cape Cod, MA, our 300+ acre property is home to a summer camp, an adventure trips program, and year-round outdoor education and retreats. YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward provides opportunities for youth from all backgrounds to experience the outdoors in a caring and supportive environment.