Come join our fun and supportive community at Camp Burgess & Hayward’s Outdoor Education & Retreat Center, a YMCA facility located a short drive from the ocean on beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Our forested property is situated on over 300 acres which include three freshwater ponds, a state-of-the-art high ropes course, a low ropes teambuilding course, climbing tower, educational farm, waterfront, hiking trails, and dining and overnight facilities. During our spring season, we host students from many local schools, and a range of specialty camp programs during the weekends.
SPRING OUTDOOR EDUCATION JOB DUTIES:
• Lead environmental education classes and teambuilding programming with confidence, accuracy, and enthusiasm
• Facilitate the safe use of our low ropes challenge course and rock wall
• Facilitate the safe use of our waterfront
• Speak clearly and audibly in front of large audiences
• Provide friendly and helpful customer service to all of our guests
• Support house-keeping, grounds-keeping, and dining operations
Our staff training will cover class curriculum, group facilitation strategies, and technical challenge course skills required for the job. You will have the dedicated support and guidance of our experienced staff as you develop your leadership style and gain confidence facilitating others in outdoor activities.
• Passion for working outdoors with youth, teens, and adults
• Desire to facilitate environmental, teambuilding, and challenge course programs
• 21+ years old, with a college degree or relevant life experience
• Ability to live and work as a positive team-player in a collaborative residential setting
• Physical ability to spend long, active hours outdoors in all elements, safely facilitating others
• Lifeguard certification strongly preferred
Expect to work long but extremely rewarding days outdoors in all elements. Daily hours are tailored to the needs of our guests. You will have two days off for every five days worked.
• Spring season begins: April 17th
• Spring season ends***: June 9th
***We encourage our staff to continue working with us in different roles for the summer and fall! In the summer most staff apply to be Adventure Trip Leaders or Outdoor Pursuits Directors (facilitating our high ropes course). In the fall, we hire Outdoor Educators to facilitate teambuilding and outdoor education programming to a wide range of groups, and also provide general facilities support.
We offer competitive weekly pay starting at $430/week, $460/week with lifeguard certification. We also provide comfortable staff housing, all of your meals while working, kitchen access, laundry facilities, and internet. Additionally, Cape Cod is an awesome place to live! You will have access to a wide range of outdoor recreation equipment to help you enjoy it.
About YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward
Based in beautiful Cape Cod, MA, our 300+ acre property is home to a summer camp, an adventure trips program, and year-round outdoor education and retreats. YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward provides opportunities for youth from all backgrounds to experience the outdoors in a caring and supportive environment.