Y would I apply?
· Outdoor Work Environment!
· Housing & Food Included
· Work with Your Friends – Text them the link to this page now!
· Gain Experience working with Children & the Community
· Build Your Resume
· Opportunities for Growth & Year Round Employment
Sound good? (We think so, too!) Here’s what you would do:
· Teach Outdoor Education and/or recreation programming
· Lead activities including (but not limited to) archery, field games, and the climbing tower with good teaching and leadership skills
· Employ good teaching and leadership techniques in providing quality instruction
· Take full responsibility for the program areas of camp or assigned activity, including developing rules and procedures, ensuring adequate program supplies and maintaining or improving equipment and facilities
· Follow all rules, operating procedures, and instructions, carry and use properly the necessary equipment during activities, know and follow established emergency procedures
· Ensure the safety and supervision of students and participants
“OK, I’m sold!” What do I need to qualify?
· Must be at least 18 years of age or older and have obtained high school diploma or GED
· Bachelor’s degree in education, recreation, related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred
· Experience working with youth in Outdoor Education, Resident Camp, Day Camp or like setting preferred
· Certification or experience in the following preferred: climbing, camping, archery, hiking, biking, surfing, swimming, sailing kayaking and scuba diving
· Physical ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform related physical skills including: standing, hiking and/or climbing for extended periods of time
· Must be able to live on-site during program season
· Current certification in First Aid and CPR- must be from one of the following:
o American Red Cross
o American Heart Association
o American Safety & Health Institute
About YMCA of San Diego County
Program instructors work with schools from around San Diego County to deliver 6th grade Environmental Education Programs, ranging from Social-Emotional development to Geology and Ecology. We work and live in the beautiful mountains of Eastern San Diego County near the Cleveland National Forest. Our Instructors are provided room and board, as well as the ability to access the YMCA Benefits Package which includes health insurance, retirement, and various other benefits. Most of all you will have the opportunity to change the lives of the thousands of kids who will come through our programs this year and gain valuable experience in the camping industry.