What You’ll Do
The Volunteer Coordinator reports to the Director of Volunteer Programs and is responsible for the following:
• Coordinate with NPS work leaders to plan relevant and appropriate volunteer work.
o Work Week crew facilitation of 12+ projects throughout Yosemite.
o Affinity Group Stewardship Retreat (various duration) facilitation of 4+ projects in Yosemite Valley
and Tuolumne Meadows.
o Special Event (single day) facilitation of up to 4 projects throughout Yosemite.
o Corporate Weekend support of up to 5 projects in Yosemite Valley.
o Stewardship Weekend support of 3+ projects throughout Yosemite.
• Craft a project schedule and calendar for the year that includes a variety of daily projects to increase diversity
of tasks and volunteer capacity. Include back-up plans for camping and worksites.
• Create detailed project descriptions and website material.
• Input schedule and descriptions into volunteer registration software, VolunteerMatters.
• Secure campsites with NPS for all applicable programs.
• Recruit volunteers for work week program with a focus on local outreach, new community contacts, and
reshaping programs to foster a safe and welcoming environment for diverse audiences.
• Manage intake of participants for all applicable programs.
• Hire and schedule contract cook staff, provide oversight, and manage their performance and payments.
• Coordinate logistics for volunteer crews, cooks, and camp, acting as the liaison between NPS and YC
• Collaborate with NPS work crew leaders to provide on-the-job training to volunteers in trail maintenance,
vegetation restoration, and wildland fire mitigation skills.
• Oversee risk management of work crews.
• Train Volunteer Programs Assistant in group leadership, project safety, field skills, and work crew camp
• Provide Assistant with weekly volunteer information updates to enable successful camp resupplies.
• In conjunction with NPS, maintain labor statistics and metrics for all service projects.
• Order and maintain tools, equipment, sustainable appreciation gifts, and bulk food for camp and work
• Update and follow an annual budget for all service-based volunteer programs.
• Assist director with seasonal board report updates, annual plan reviews, and revenue tracking.
• Collaborate with marketing team to promote volunteer opportunities, recruitment and enrich digital and print
• Assist director with Visitor Information Assistant training; risk management and preventive search and rescue
• Assist with off-season volunteer recruitment, across all programs.
• Support NPS Volunteers in Parks department as requested: Facelift, annual volunteer awards nominations
About Yosemite Conservancy
We’re passionate about Yosemite — and about helping all people connect with, learn about, and take care of the park.
As a member of the Conservancy team, you’ll be making a difference for Yosemite every day. We work together to
provide enriching visitor programs and services, and to support projects that protect wildlife, restore trails and habitat,
advance scientific research, inspire visitors, and much more.