We are looking for one full-time Program Facilitator to join our team in Tahoe, working with high school youth in our Community Leadership Program during the school year and in our Summer Immersion Course in the summer. The Community Leadership Program in Tahoe is embedded in North Tahoe High School in Tahoe City, CA and may engage students at other local high schools. The Program Facilitator will work closely with the ARC Program Coordinator to support program goals and student outcomes. Because our cohorts engage in weekly meetings and participate in a progression of outdoor and overnight experiences, this position involves mid-week and weekend work.
● Facilitate two first-year (9th grade) cohorts per week, implementing ARC’s integrated leadership, literacy, and outdoor curriculum and support the implementation of second and third-year programming.
● Support the planning and implementation of up to ten weekend day or overnight outdoor trips throughout the school year, including driving students to and from trips.
● Support the planning and implementation of events, including family and community engagement opportunities
● Support recruitment for ARC summer courses
● Mentor students individually throughout the year
● Ensure all protocol and risk management guidelines are adhered to during ARC program activities
● Work as an Instructor during ARC’s Summer Immersion Course. See Instructor job description for more information. Outdoor experience is not an absolute requirement as we are able to provide necessary training; all interested individuals are encouraged to apply.
DESIRED SKILLS and EXPERIENCE:
● Demonstrated facilitation, teaching, coaching, or youth development experience
● Demonstrated interest and ability to be a positive role model for high school youth
● Readiness to use a strengths-based approach to youth development
● Experience in, or interest in learning, outdoor activities such as hiking and camping
● Demonstrated ability to understand, communicate, and effectively interact with people across cultures
● Bilingual Spanish/English
ARC recognizes that injustice exists in all aspects of society. Our programs eliminate barriers by creating pathways for youth to achieve academic success, to access wilderness spaces, and to exercise leadership in our communities and beyond. ARC is dedicated to actively implementing organizational practices and developing leadership opportunities that promote equity, diversity and inclusion.
Pay for this position is $45,000 per year. ARC offers a generous benefits package including an open paid leave policy, excellent health and dental coverage for employees and their family members, a transportation stipend, and a monthly cell phone reimbursement.
About Adventure Risk Challenge
Adventure Risk Challenge (ARC) is a youth development non-profit founded in 2004. Our program integrates academic and outdoor programming for high school youth in Tahoe-Truckee and the Central Valley, bolstering their skills as learners, leaders and community members. Our strategy incorporates literacy instruction (critical thinking, writing, reading, and public speaking), leadership development, and life-skills training (goal setting, teamwork, and resilience), utilizing outdoor settings as alternative classrooms. The program aims to support underserved students, including first-generation and English language learning students, to develop the interpersonal skills and academic tools needed for high school success and college access.