Bring your full self and be a part of an intentional, experienced, and passionate team! This is a full-time seasonal outdoor Instructor position based in either Yosemite National Park or Lake Tahoe. Instructors will work in teams to deliver 33-day or 11-day wilderness experiences (4-8 day backpacking trips, rock climbing, &/or whitewater rafting) interwoven with intensive literacy & leadership components at an outdoor basecamp (English & science classes, writing workshops, & facilitated community conversations). Instructors will attend our 10-day paid All Staff Training but should have the skills & experience to contribute to a well rounded team. This is an ideal position for candidates who love working with high school students and who share our commitment to diversifying the outdoors.
● Create a safe, open, and inclusive culture for students & staff and work in a highly collaborative environment
● Lead backpacking expeditions & basecamps following rigorous daily schedules
● Teach backcountry outdoor living skills
● Manage student safety in front & backcountry course environments and follow all risk management protocols
● Drive students in SUVs between course areas
● Teach a pre-planned component of ARC’s curriculum with your own unique style
● Has strong interpersonal skills & can connect effectively with high school aged youth & community members
● Has self-awareness to responsibly facilitate conversations about identity
● Has experience backpacking, leading wilderness expeditions, &/or teaching in any setting
● Has a commitment to social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
● Has bilingual proficiency in Spanish & English (preferred but not required)
● Has Wilderness First Responder & CPR certifications (required by start date)
COMPENSATION Instructors are paid $150 per day & can expect an increase of $5 per day for each returning summer. Extensive paid training is provided. Shared housing is provided. You will also gain access to our Outdoor Leadership Fund. Immersive Course Instructors can expect up to 4 days off during their course. Meals are provided during summer courses & some portions of training.
About Adventure Risk Challenge
Adventure Risk Challenge (ARC) has been facilitating leadership, literacy, and wilderness experiences since 2004. We host Immersive (33-day) & Foundational (11-day) Summer Courses that integrate rigorous academic instruction & outdoor education. Our programming engages high school youth in the Tahoe-Truckee & Central Valley regions of California whose identities are typically underrepresented in the outdoors & higher education.