ARC is hiring seasonal instructors at each of its three program sites – Yosemite National Park, Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks, and Lake Tahoe.
• Responsible for logistics for expeditions and basecamps, including leading on- and off-trail backpacking, gear and food organization, daily schedules, meal preparation, transportation, etc
• Work in a highly collaborative environment with other ARC staff
• Create a safe and open culture for students and staff
• Responsible for teaching one academic subject area AND backcountry outdoor living skills and supporting other academic subject areas
• Have a thorough knowledge of ARC curriculum, how pieces fit together, and overall goals
• Manage all student behavioral issues, utilizing contracts and other tools when necessary
• Ensure all protocol and risk management guidelines are adhered to in all program activities
• Manage student safety in frontcountry and backcountry course environments
• Ensure students are punctual for all academic and wilderness course components
• Responsible for driving students in SUVs between course areas
QUALIFICATIONS: This is a very rigorous summer course and requires a high level of professionalism, organizational skill, and dedication. ARC will give preference to candidates with experience leading backpacking trips for youth, but all interested candidates are encouraged to apply, as we may have openings for assistant instructors, instructors, and lead instructors.
Preferred qualifications include:
Current WFR and CPR
Experience leading or co-leading groups of youth backpacking in the wilderness
Experience teaching (in a traditional or non-traditional setting)
Experience working in a dynamic and demanding work environment
About Adventure Risk Challenge
Our mission is to empower underserved youth through integrated leadership, literacy, and wilderness experiences. Our programs integrate academics (English literacy, writing, public speaking, and environmental science) with outdoor adventure experiences. Originally based on the New York City Outward Bound leadership and literacy program, ARC engages English Language Learner and under-represented high school youth in rural California communities.