Bring your full self and be a part of an intentional, experienced, and passionate team! This is a full-time seasonal outdoor Lead Instructor position based in either Yosemite National Park or Lake Tahoe. Instructors will work in teams to deliver 33-day or 11-day wilderness experiences (4-8 day backpacking trips, rock climbing, &/or whitewater rafting) interwoven with intensive literacy & leadership components at an outdoor basecamp (English & science classes, writing workshops, & facilitated community conversations). Lead Instructors will attend our 10-day paid All Staff Training but should come to us with the skills & experience to lead a well rounded team. The Lead Instructor position is ideal for candidates who have professional outdoor education experience & thrive in dynamic environments.
● Create a safe, open, and inclusive culture for students & staff and work in a highly collaborative environment
● Oversee all aspects of running an ARC summer course, including:
● Course logistics
● Risk Management
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
● Has strong interpersonal skills & can connect effectively with high school aged youth
● Has self-awareness to responsibly facilitate conversations about identity
● Has professional experience backpacking, leading wilderness expeditions, and teaching curriculum
● Has experience managing risks outdoors
● Has a commitment to social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
● Has bilingual proficiency in Spanish & English (preferred but not required)
● Has Wilderness First Responder
COMPENSATION Lead Instructors are paid $200 per day & can expect an increase of $5 per day with each returning summer. Extensive paid training is provided. Shared housing is provided. You will also gain access to our Outdoor Leadership Fund for necessary gear and certifications. Immersive Course Lead Instructors can expect up to 4 days off during their course. Meals are provided during summer courses & some portions of training.
About Adventure Risk Challenge
Adventure Risk Challenge (ARC) has been facilitating leadership, literacy, and wilderness experiences since 2004. We host Immersive (33-day) & Foundational (11-day) Summer Courses that integrate rigorous academic instruction & outdoor education. Our programming engages high school youth in the Tahoe-Truckee & Central Valley regions of California whose identities are typically underrepresented in the outdoors & higher education.