Bring your full self and be a part of an intentional, experienced, and passionate team! This is a full-time seasonal outdoor Site Manager position based in the North Lake Tahoe area. Our 33-day wilderness experiences (4-8 day backpacking trips, rock climbing, &/or whitewater rafting) are interwoven with intensive literacy & leadership components at an outdoor basecamp (English & science classes, writing workshops, & facilitated community conversations). The Site Manager will attend our 12-day paid training but should come to us with the skills & experience to run a smooth and safe course. The Site Manager position is ideal for candidates who have extensive professional outdoor education experience and a proven record of effectively overseeing logistics, supervising staff, and managing group dynamics.
● Create a safe, open, & inclusive culture for students & staff & work in a highly collaborative environment
● Oversee all aspects of running an ARC summer course in collaboration with the Lead Instructor, including:
● Course logistics
● Risk Management
● Be on call for consultation and emergency response for the entire length of the course
● Assist with incident response and evacuations as needed
● Has extensive professional experience backpacking and leading wilderness expeditions
● Has extensive experience managing risks outdoors
● Has had extensive student contact time with high school aged youth
● Has experience teaching curriculum
● Has a commitment to social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
● Has strong organizational skills & attention to detail
● Is flexible & adaptable under changing circumstances
COMPENSATION The Site Manager will be paid $225 per day & can expect an increase of $5 per day with each returning summer. Extensive paid training is provided. Shared housing is provided. You will also gain access to our Outdoor Leadership Fund (details below). Meals are provided during summer courses & some portions of training.
About Adventure Risk Challenge
Adventure Risk Challenge (ARC) has been facilitating leadership, literacy, and wilderness experiences since 2004. We host Immersive (33-day) & Foundational (11-day) Summer Courses that integrate rigorous academic instruction & outdoor education. Our programming engages high school youth in the Tahoe-Truckee & Central Valley regions of California whose identities are typically underrepresented in the outdoors & higher education.