Our two Anchorage-based Lead Stewardship & Backpacking Instructors will run five backcountry trips throughout the summer. Trips vary between multi-day backpacking trips and base camped conservation trips around Alaska. Instructors will provide a safe, inclusive space for a diverse group of Alaskan teens while managing the inherent risks of wilderness travel and backcountry experiences. Instructors will work alongside National Forest and National Park rangers and staff to deliver programs, requiring excellent collaboration and communication skills to maintain a positive relationship with our partners. In addition, a student leader may be part of the leadership team for some trips.
Backpacking courses will take place primarily in Southcentral and Interior Alaska. Two courses will take place in Denali National Park. For a list of courses please visit our website – https://www.akgeo.org/youth-programs/youth-expeditions/
- 21+ years old
- 2+ seasons of guiding or instructing experience, preferably with experience in Alaska
- 2+ seasons of experience working with teens
- Must have current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification by May 2021
- Must be able to life 60 pounds regularly and throughout the day
- Must have valid driver's license and clean driving record
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Proven group management experience in an expedition setting
- Ability to work effectively with co-guide in a diverse, fast-paced, demanding environment with a high level of responsibility
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable, understanding that programs may change on short notice due to weather, border closures, ferry delays, road conditions, agency partner abilities, or other unpredictable circumstances. These situations may happen while on course, extending the program days.
- Strongly prefer Alaska-based candidates
- Strongly prefer candidates with experience in the Chugach National Forest
- Experience working on small staff teams
- Understanding and knowledge of trail and conservation work
About Alaska Geographic
Alaska Geographic is the official nonprofit education and fundraising partner to Alaska’s National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, National Forests, and BLM Conservation Lands, creating and delivering exceptional education programs and products through our collaboration with public lands agencies.
Alaska Geographic is a dynamic non-profit that offers a diverse array of outdoor programming, expeditions, stewardship projects, and education tours around Alaska to engage people in their public lands. We have been running programs since 2009 and have two education program bases – Anchorage and Denali National Park. For more information and for Denali job postings, please visit akgeo.org