If you’re looking for a job in the camp community that allows you to be challenged, expand your skills and experience in the outdoors, travel to some of the most beautiful and remote parts of the country, and have tons of fun, then a Tbird wilderness job just might be for you!
In addition to the multi-specialty program at our site in Minnesota, we offer all our campers an opportunity to embark on wilderness adventures in canoe, bike, climb, sail and fishing experiences. These trips range in length from two-nine nights.
Our campers in 8th grade participate in a program that prepares them for T-Bird Expeditions. This program is called Progressions and our full season campers participate in a series of backpacking and canoe trips to grow their soft and hard skills.
In addition, our oldest campers embark on multi-week expedition programs to the Pacific Northwest, the Western US and Canadian Rockies, the Northeastern US, and the Canadian Northwoods. For many campers who spend summer after summer with us, these trips are the pinnacle of their camp experience.
Expedition Leader Responsibilities:
1. Work as a team with 1-3 other Trip Leaders to manage a group of 12-18 teenagers on a 5-week trip across Washington state or the Western U.S.
2. Co-lead (with one other Trip Leader) a group of 6-10 campers on various backpacking trips that range from 3 to 8 days in length.
3. Manage the group in the frontcountry, including transporting campers in 15-passenger vans, purchasing and providing meals, planning trip logistics, prepping backcountry trips, communicating with Camp Directors.
4. All other aspects of trip management to ensure the physical and emotional safety of all campers.
Expedition Leader Qualifications:
1. 21+ years of age
2. WFR certification or willingness to obtain (WMI WFR course is offered each summer)
3. Previous wilderness experience
4. Fun, caring, and motivated with a desire to work and play in the outdoor
About Camp Thunderbird
Camp Thunderbird is a residential summer camp based in northern Minnesota with over 60 years of experience in adventure programming. Our wilderness program includes 5 week backpacking-focused trips in the Pacific Northwest, Western U.S. and Canada. One summer at Thunderbird and you’ll feel like you’re part of a family. Come join us!