The River Program Associate is a full-time seasonal position (May-September) based at the ETC River Camp in Lotus, California. This position works with the Program Manager to ensure that program communication and administrative duties are successful, while also assisting with program operations. Duties include pre-trip and ongoing communication with participant groups, assisting the Program Manager in guide scheduling, and various office work tasks as needed. The Program Associate also guides whitewater rafting trips for diverse groups of participants. In addition, this position will support the Operations Manager in planning weekly staff meetings, and supervision of interns. This is a residential position at the ETC River Camp in Lotus, California.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Trip scheduling, communication, and outreach with participant groups, including pre-trip check-ins and post-trip follow-up.
• Prepare trip paperwork for Trip Leaders and ensure accurate data entry.
• Assist in River Program office maintenance and organization.
• Be part of the River Program Management team and assist in supervision of the River Program Field Interns and Volunteers
• Support Volunteer Guides and Trip Leaders
• Act as a guide or assistant guide on one-to-three-day whitewater rafting trips for diverse groups of participants
• Take on the role of Camp Manager when the Program Manager and Operations Manager is not onsite
• Assist with the scheduling of Volunteer and Staff guides on trips
• Assist in meal planning and food buy logistics
• Drive company vehicles and comply with Environmental Traveling Companions Driver’s Policies
• Participate in program and self-evaluation at mid-season and end of season
• Other duties as assigned
• Start Date: Mid May 2023
• End Date: August 31, 2023
• Additional work in September paid per diem rate (Part – time options for remote administration tasks)
Commitment: 22 or 23 days per month, with 8 days off scheduled no later than the first day of the month
Reports To: River Program Manager
• Salary Range of $90-120/Per Day
• Tent platform living space
• Access to ETC river equipment for personal use, and access to various pro deals
• Ongoing training opportunities, including Swiftwater Rescue Training
Criminal Background Check: Employment with ETC is contingent upon a criminal background check
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Employment with ETC is contingent upon a motor vehicle record check
Work & Living Location: River Program staff live on covered, open-air platforms at the ETC River Camp in Lotus,
• Well-organized, thoughtful and clear in communication
• Strong administrative skills (especially time-management, logistics, and problem-solving)
• Experience supervising staff and volunteers preferred
• Background in Environmental Education/Environmental Sciences strongly preferred.
• Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities and backgrounds
• Ability to work independently on multiple tasks with deadlines
• Current CPR and Wilderness First Aid certifications, WFR or WEMT preferred
• Minimum of 3 years guiding rafts in a commercial setting
About Environmental Traveling Companions
ETC is a non-profit, volunteer based organization that provides outdoor adventure and environmental education experiences for people of all abilities. ETC conducts Sea Kayak, Whitewater Rafting, and Cross Country Skiing trips for youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds and people with disabilities as well as extended Youth Leadership Programs for disadvantaged youth.