ETC is a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization that provides outdoor adventure and environmental education experiences for people of all abilities. ETC conducts one- to three-day Sea Kayak, Whitewater Rafting, and Cross Country Skiing trips for youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds and people with disabilities, as well as extended Youth Leadership Programs for under-resourced youth.
The Operations Manager is a seasonal 7- to 8-month position. The Operations Manager is responsible for supervising and training volunteers and other seasonal staff, for leading sea kayak trips on San Francisco and Tomales Bays from one to five days in length, for the management of program operations on San Francisco and Tomales Bays, and for being the point person on equipment maintenance and upkeep.
The Operations Manager works closely with the Sea Kayak Program Manager, Program Associate, 1-3 seasonal Field Interns, and ETC’s volunteer Trip Leaders and Guides.
Duties & Responsibilities
• 50% Acting as Trip Leader on trips and trainings
• 50% Managing program facilities and equipment and providing logistical support to the Sea Kayak Program Manager
The Operations Manager will primarily work from our Sausalito and Tomales Bay locations.
• Participation in ETC Trip Leader Training, February 25-26 in Tomales Bay and Sausalito
• Participation in ETC’s Sea Kayak Guide School, April 1-2 in Tomales Bay and April 14-17 in Sausalito/Angel Island. March 29, April 12, April 26 – Virtual Evening Sessions
• Participation in ETC’s Inclusion Training, May 20-21 in at ETC’s river camp, Coloma CA
Term & Commitment
• February/March through October/November (flexible start-end dates as long as candidate can attend the above trainings)
• 22 days per month. The Program Associate will be asked to work on weekday and weekend days and on overnight trips.
• Up to three weeks of unpaid time off can be scheduled during the season and should coincide with program needs
• Monthly salary DOE starting at $3,000/month. If more or fewer than 22 days are worked in a month, pay will be pro-rated accordingly.
• Use of ETC sea kayak equipment for personal use (subject to ETC boat use policy)
• Access to ETC’s pro purchase programs with various outdoor equipment manufacturers
• Experience with boat maintenance, carpentry, or related repair skills, or desire to learn
• 1+ year sea kayak guiding experience. Trip Leader experience preferred
• Experience working with youth or people with disabilities a plus
• Reliable transportation to San Francisco, CA, Sausalito, CA, and Inverness, CA for office work and trips
• CPR and First Aid Certified, or willingness to get certified before starting the position (WFA/WFR strongly preferred)
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
About Environmental Traveling Companions
ETC is a non-profit, volunteer based organization that provides outdoor adventure and environmental education experiences for people of all abilities. ETC conducts Sea Kayak, Whitewater Rafting, and Cross Country Skiing trips for youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds and people with disabilities as well as extended Youth Leadership Programs for disadvantaged youth.