The Program Associate is a seasonal 7- 8month position. The Program Associate is responsible for supervising and training volunteers and other seasonal staff, for leading sea kayak trips on San Francisco and Tomales Bays from one to five days in length, for developing and teaching environmental education curriculum, and for providing administrative support, such as pre- and post-trip communications, agency and volunteer outreach, and trip staffing.
The Program Associate works closely with the Sea Kayak Program Manager, Operations Manager, 1-3 seasonal Field Interns, and ETC’s volunteer Trip Leaders and Guides.
Duties & Responsibilities
• 60% Acting as Trip Leader on Sea Kayak trips and potentially training trips
o Lead and mentor a team of guides and interns to facilitate one- to five-day sea kayak trips in variable conditions for people with special needs, under-resourced youth, and benefit groups
o Provide safe, educational, and fun outdoor experiences for ETC participants
o Evaluate on-water conditions and group abilities to make decisions on safety
o Facilitate activities focusing on group development, kayak instruction, environmental education, and human and natural history
o Organize and support environmental education trainings and kayak skills trainings for new and current Guides
o Further develop environmental education resources and role model stewardship-oriented curriculum
• 40% Providing administrative and logistical support to the Sea Kayak Program Manager
o Assist with volunteer guide communications and outreach
o Assist with trip staffing
o Plan trip logistics with client agencies and partners
o Prepare pre-trip communications with Trip Leaders and Guides
o Assist with trip evaluation and follow-up
o Support cleanup, organization, and maintenance projects at storage facilities and overnight locations
o Other administrative and logistical duties as assigned
The Program Associate will frequently guide trips from our Sausalito and Tomales Bay locations. Other work can be completed remotely or from ETC offices in Fort Mason with the expectation to work from the office 1-2 days per week.
Term & Commitment
• March/April through October/November (flexible start-end dates as long as candidate can attend the above trainings)
• 22 days per month. The Program Associate will be asked to work on weekdays, weekends and on overnight trips.
• Up to three weeks of unpaid time off can be scheduled
• Monthly salary DOE starting at $150/per day
• Use of ETC sea kayak equipment for personal use
• Access to ETC’s pro purchase programs with various outdoor equipment manufacturers
• CPR and First Aid Certified, or willingness to get certified before starting the position (Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder strongly preferred)
• Previous experience guiding in the outdoors - preferably Sea Kayaking
• Ability to set a positive tone while supervising diverse groups of people, preferably in an outdoor education setting
• Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities and backgrounds
• Ability to communicate professionally over phone and email with partners and guides
• Demonstrated office and administrative skills (MS Office/Google Drive, Salesforce), with a high level of attention to detail
• Previous outdoor and/or environmental education experience highly desired
• Previous experience in kayak trip leader role (managing a team of guides) highly desired
• Experience working with youth or people with disabilities a plus
About Environmental Traveling Companions
Environmental Traveling Companions (ETC) is an established and respected nonprofit, community-based organization that makes the joy and challenge of outdoor adventures accessible to people with disabilities and under-resourced youth, inspiring self-confidence, connection to nature, and stewardship of the environment. ETC's sea kayaking, whitewater rafting, cross-country skiing, and Youth LEAD programs annually enable over 3,000 participants to enjoy educational and transformational outdoor adventures. We have a small but mighty team of dedicated year round staff, with an amazing crew of seasonal instructors and support staff, and a very strong volunteer community of trainers and guides. We are looking for the right person to complete our crew.