Job Title: Staff Accountant – AP/Payroll
Employment Class: Full-Time Regular
Pay Status and Range: Non-Exempt; $18-23/hour, DOE
Expected Hours: 40 hours/week
Start Date: ASAP
Reports To: Director of Finance
Housing Available: No
Program Overview and Job Summary
The Staff Accountant is a year-round administrative position responsible for processing accounts payable and payroll and for completing other general accounting tasks. Reporting to the Director of Finance, this position ensures accurate payments and record-keeping for the organization. A successful Staff Accountant will be an individual who has the highest personal integrity, excellent attention to detail, the ability to complete projects independently and under direction, and works well with a variety of people.
Main areas of focus:
• 45% Accounts Payable
• 15% Payroll
• 40% General Accounting and Administration
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Collecting and processing all invoices to be paid;
• Adhering to and enforcing compliance with all KSS policies and A/P best practices;
• Printing and distributing all A/P checks;
• Administering KSS’s corporate card system, including collection, reconciliation, and import of monthly credit card activity as well as online portal administration;
• Training internal staff on A/P procedures;
• Resolving billing disputes with vendors;
• Resolving outstanding checks and tracking and filing any unclaimed property;
• Preparing and filing monthly sales tax returns;
• Preparing and issuing annual 1099s.
• Accurately processing bi-weekly payrolls using QuickBooks, external timekeeping software, and KSS internal systems;
• Adhering to and enforcing compliance with payroll regulations and KSS policies;
• Collecting payroll-related information from a variety of sources and synthesizing it to ensure accurate pay for all employees;
• Auditing and verifying employee information input by Human Resources, including rates, deductions, etc.;
• Collaborating with Human Resources and departmental managers to resolve payroll variances and questions;
• Using critical thinking to verify all payrolls processed;
• Printing and distributing bi-weekly payroll checks;
• Calculating, filing, and paying all payroll taxes in a timely manner;
• Maintaining complete and accurate payroll records;
• Preparing and issuing annual W2s.
General Accounting and Administration
• Entering daily bank activity and recording all bank deposits into the accounting software;
• Assisting with monthly and yearly close processes, including preparing journal entries and reconciling various GL and Balance Sheet accounts;
• Verifying financial reports by performing reconciliations to source documents;
• Working with the Development department to ensure accurate reporting of donations and pledges;
• Helping employees understand and implement the organization’s accounting procedures;
• Honesty, integrity, and discretion;
• Proven ability to collect, analyze, organize, and apply information from a variety of sources;
• Superior customer service to people of diverse backgrounds and different levels of experience, including internal and external customers;
• Can manage a high volume of data efficiently and with a close attention to detail;
• Technologically adept, including a proven ability to learn new computer programs;
• Proficiency in Excel, Outlook, and Word.
• Associate’s Degree in Accounting or Finance and/or equivalent work experience, defined as:
o At least one year of accounting experience with degree, or;
o At least three years of accounting experience without degree;
• Current First Aid and CPR certification or ability to obtain within 60 days of employment;
• Must be able to pass a comprehensive background check.
• Prior experience with QuickBooks;
• Prior exposure to non-profit accounting;
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field;
• Comprehension of the Spanish language.
About Keystone Science School
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!