Lead inexperienced 14-18-year-old students on backpacking, mountaineering, or paddling expeditions in wilderness settings for extended periods of time while managing risks and evaluating student performance. Assist in the facilitation of classes and activities to achieve the curricular goals of MWS expeditions and make decisions in the field that reflect MWS’ programmatic goals.
● Wilderness First Responder (minimum 72-hour course) and CPR certifications required.
● Valid driver’s license.
● Acceptable driving record and an acceptable criminal history, as verified through the pre-hire driving record and criminal background checks.
● Strong desire to learn about and contribute to the mission and values of MWS.
● One or more seasons (50+ Field Days total) of experience leading groups of students in the backcountry.
● Ability to carry a 45-70 lb. backpack in rugged terrain for up to 10+ hours a day.
● Ability to support and facilitate curricular and programmatic goals.
● Ability to lead inexperienced students in wilderness settings for extended periods of time while managing risks and evaluating student performance.
● Ability to organize and effectively teach lessons
● Ability to motivate others to accomplish goals
● Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback
● Strong verbal communication skills
About MONTANA WILDERNESS SCHOOL
The Montana Wilderness School is a 501(c)3 nonprofit outdoor education organization based in Bozeman, Montana, providing multi-week wilderness expeditions for youth.