The Senior Director, Programs & Safety provides overall leadership to all programming, and is responsible for program safety, quality, and educational outcomes. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Senior Director ensures alignment, continual improvement, and collaboration between all programs. This role serves as the school-wide Safety Director, in continuous pursuit of high quality programs in accordance with Outward Bound USA (OBUSA) Safety and Risk Management policies and procedures. The successful candidate will also be expected to have a commitment to and past experience with integrating equity, inclusion, and diversity priorities across all programming.
This position is expected to be 1.0 FTE. Anticipated start date is November 29, 2021.
● Extensive wilderness, expeditionary program leadership experience required. Outward Bound experience highly preferred; previous nonprofit experience preferred.
● 12-15 years’ experience in the outdoor education/experiential learning field, including 10+ years’ experience creating high performing teams and motivating team members. A Bachelor’s degree can replace four years of necessary experience but is not required.
● A passion for the Outward Bound mission and a commitment to the value of service.
● Ability to work in a collaborative team environment with field staff, program management staff, and other organizational leaders.
● Past training and leadership in equity, inclusion and diversity work, particularly pertaining to work
● Must be able to travel periodically including multiple overnights to program base camps and to OBUSA meetings and other events as required. Seasonal (summer) travel may be as much as 50%.
● Familiarity with Salesforce preferred.
About Northwest Outward Bound School
With over 50 years of innovation in experiential and outdoor education in the Pacific Northwest, Northwest Outward Bound School (NWOBS) continues to change lives through challenge and discovery. Our transformative and educational wilderness courses are set in some of the most dramatic and stunning parts of the United States. NWOBS was founded in 1965 and facilitates wilderness-based programs in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, and serves urban youth and schools in the Portland metropolitan area. As an Outward Bound School, we are committed to the core values of compassion, integrity, excellence, inclusion, and diversity, and strive to achieve the following outcomes: building character, developing leadership skills, and creating an ethic of social and environmental responsibility.