$16.12 per hour
Special Project, Full-Time; scheduled to work September 2021 – October 2021
Our Mission: Inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action.
Come cook for young explorers and visitors at Coastal Discovery Center at Camp Gray, owned by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI). Give kids and visitors the energy they need to hike and explore tide pools and the coastal ecology surrounding Newport, Oregon by preparing and cooking delicious and nutritious snacks and meals for them. The OMSI Outdoor Camp Cooks are essential community members of passionate educators and learners. They provide more than just food; they offer thoughtful menus, comfort, and nourishment for all. The Camp Cooks plan menus, order food and cook for the programs at The Coastal Discovery Center at Camp Gray. In joining the OMSI team, you also participate in OMSI’s vision to ignite an education transformation at the intersection of science and technology that spreads educational opportunities across the Northwest.
• Plan and cook nutritious menus for staff and groups up to 80 participants, ensuring balanced meals that accommodate for dietary restrictions and food allergies
• Control inventory, order food and/or shop for food, ensuring and balancing sustainable food and budget practices
• Wash and sanitize all dishes and surfaces used for meal preparations
• Keep all areas in compliance with the Oregon state and county health codes as well as American Camp Association standards
• Actively integrate participation, compassion, thought, and informed action to build a supportive learning community
• Developed understanding of food safety, protocol, and regulations
• Ability to operate kitchen equipment and tools safely
• Specific knowledge of major food allergens and dietary preferences
• High School Diploma or Equivalent
• Minimum of 1 year of cooking in a commercial kitchen
• Current Oregon Food Handler Card
• Must be at least 18 years old to operate, repair or clean power-driven food slicers, grinders, choppers and mixers
• Pass pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check and reference checks, and American Camp Association (ACA) background checks
• Competitive health benefits and sick time.
• On-site living offered, with shared staff quarters:
o Housing provided during the season. Season runs Mid-September through the end of October
o Food also provided when site programming includes commercial food service
• Free OMSI annual membership
• Reciprocal Employee Attractions Pass – Valid for two free general admissions to 23 Oregon attractions.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
OMSI, a non-profit museum in Portland, OR, is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation's top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches one million people each year. We are proud to be the largest museum-based outdoor education program in the country.