The Summer Intern will work cooperatively with the Port Royal Sound Foundation Staff on supporting educational programs, creating curriculum for young visitors, aiding with summer camps, providing animal care, and educating visitors about the Port Royal Sound. The Maritime Center has been open since 2014 and we wish to continue improving our interactions with our visitors through exhibits, programs, and social media.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
1. Assist Naturalists with educational public programs, taking place indoors and outdoors.
2. Teach a variety of environmental education programs for visitors of all ages.
3. Create and implement programs that makes our Center more engaging for young children.
4. Co-counsel 6 weeks of summer day camp.
5. Fill in for volunteers as a Host/Docent in the Maritime Center.
6. Lead weekly “Story Time” by reading a story and facilitating a craft for toddlers and their families.
7. Animal feeding and care.
8. Create educational content for our social media sites.
9. Provide input on how to improve current programs, especially those that relate to young children.
10. Maintain a positive and professional attitude while working with guests.
Working towards a degree in Education, Biology, Recreation, or Environmental Science. Good communication and public speaking skills, especially with children. Experience or willingness to create and implement curriculum for children. Experience or willingness to learn how to work with animals – fish, invertebrates, and reptiles.
Must be 18 years or older. Reliable transportation. Ability to lift 40 pounds. Must pass a background check. Flexibility in work schedule with typical hours being Monday to Friday from 8:30am-5:00pm; 35-40 hours per week for 8-12 weeks.
About Port Royal Sound Foundation
Port Royal Sound Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit located in Okatie, SC. Our mission is to preserve the Port Royal Sound for the environmental, cultural, & economic well-being of our area. Our Maritime Center, which is open to visitors, brings our mission to life and gives our guests an appreciation for the uniqueness of the Port Royal Sound. Along with the Maritime Center, we host educational programming, summer camps, support research, highlight local artists, and provide volunteer opportunities.