Responsibilities: During “Powder Term” (January 4 to February 11, 2024) you’ll:
– Work and live alongside a staff of 6-7, on-site at Black Diamond Lodge, to implement the Powder Term experience for 20-25 teenagers
– Coach skiing/snowboarding for Powder Term participants 3-4 mornings/week, and free-ski 3 days/week
– Assist in the transport of the kids to/from Purgatory Resort (3-minute drive in shuttles)
– Rotate with other counselors in helping with room inspections, proctoring study halls, serving breakfast, overseeing the kids’ cleaning responsibilities at the lodge, and assisting the chefs at dinners
– Communicate and help make adjustments with Powder Term suppliers (food purveyors, ski equipment suppliers, shopping trips, etc.)
– Attend bi-weekly meetings/reports with Powder Term Founders directors and education guides
– Serve leftovers for lunch on Sundays and have pizzas delivered/pick-up for dinner on Sundays
– Attend a 3-day training event with Powder Term staff before the students arrive
– Have fun with the kids and ski your brains out in beautiful SW Colorado
- $2500 employee salary + potential $500 bonus based on performance (Discover Term will issue a W-2 IRS Form well before January 31, 2024)
- Two half-days off (meaning no assigned duties) per week (totaling to one day off/ week). There is also plenty of down-time / personal time outside of regular duties.
- Roundtrip airfare and shuttle to Black Diamond Lodge
- Private Room and Board at Black Diamond Lodge (1 mile south of Purgatory Resort)
- Free Season Pass to Purgatory Resort
- Are a team player. Are willing to jump-in wherever and whenever for the support of the whole group - staff and students while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Must love and have experience working with students ages 11-15
- Have a strong background in skiing/snowboarding. Must feel confident in ability to ride every run within the resort at a moderate pace, under control (video evidence of riding ability may be required)
- Evidence of creative problem-solving experience
- Summer Camp Counselor, Alternative Education or Outdoor Program Teaching/Guiding (ex: NOLS, Outward Bound, Ski Instructing), Hospitality industry
- Embody an active, healthy and curious spirit and lifestyle
About Powder Term (www.powderterm.com)
Powder Term is a 5-week adventure for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders that’s physically, academically, and emotionally rigorous and fun, where teens can escape the strains, pains, and distractions of everyday life and take part in an electronic-free alternative education program designed around accelerated learning, developing mastery on the ski mountain, building self-awareness, confidence, leadership skills, and forming personal relationships that will last a lifetime.
We offer teenagers a space to breathe, where unnecessary distractions (cell phones, video games, junk food, tv/computer, internet, social media, lectures) are cut from the environment and replaced with: 34 days of skiing, 4 field trips, 1 mastery course, 1 leadership course, 2 classic books, and top-notch experiential social studies and science projects... and life-long friends.
We provide the essential tools, experiences, relationships, rigor, and fun that offers teenagers an opportunity to carve their own path