During “Powder Term” (January 4 to February 11, 2023) you’ll:
– Work and live alongside a staff of 6-7, on-site at Black Diamond Lodge, to implement the Powder Term experience for 24-36 teenagers
– Coach skiing for Powder Term participants 3-4 mornings/week, and free-ski 3 days/week
– Assist in the transport of the kids to/from Purgatory Resort (3-minute drive in shuttles)
– Rotate with other counselors in helping with room inspections, serving breakfast, overseeing the kids’ cleaning responsibilities at the lodge, and assisting the chefs at dinners
– Communicate and help make adjustments with Powder Term suppliers (food purveyors, ski equipment suppliers, shopping trips, etc.)
– Attend bi-weekly meetings/reports with Powder Term Founders directors and education guides
– Serve leftovers for lunch on Sundays and have pizzas delivered/pick-up for dinner on Sundays
– Attend a 3-day training event with Powder Term staff before the students arrive
– Have fun with the kids and ski your brains out in beautiful SW Colorado!
- Free Room and Board included at Powder Term campus every ski season from early January to mid-February (1-mile down the street from the ski lifts at Purgatory Resort in Durango, CO).
- Purgatory season pass included
- $2500, plus bonus plan based upon student and staff ratings/reviews
- Ski equipment provided if necessary
- Transportation to/from Durango, CO
- Must love working with kids ages 11-14
- Experience coaching/teaching alpine skiing
- Evidence of creative problem solving experience
- The ability to sit in ambiguity, be patient, ask questions, and then take action
- Summer Camp Counselor, Alternative Education or Outdoor Program Teaching/Guiding (ex: NOLS, Outward Bound), Hospitality industry
- Embody an active, healthy and curious spirit and lifestyle
About Powder Term (www.powderterm.com)
Powder Term is a 5-week adventure for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders that’s physically, academically, and emotionally rigorous and fun, where teens can escape the strains, pains, and distractions of everyday life and take part in an electronic-free alternative education program designed around accelerated learning, developing mastery on the ski mountain, building self-awareness, confidence, leadership skills, and forming personal relationships that will last a lifetime.
We offer teenagers a space to breathe, where unnecessary distractions (cell phones, video games, junk food, tv/computer, internet, social media, lectures) are cut from the environment and replaced with: 34 days of skiing, 4 field trips, 1 mastery course, 1 leadership course, 2 classic books, and top-notch experiential social studies and science projects... and life-long friends.
We provide the essential tools, experiences, relationships, rigor, and fun that offers teenagers an opportunity to carve their own path