Rippleffect is seeking individuals who have experience working with youth in varied outdoor education settings for our Wilderness Education Guide position. Rippleffect is excited to expand our guide team to support our growing program offerings. Our year round program offerings include:
Challenge Course Elements
Growth of Mind, Body & Spirit
• Manage and mentor groups of 7-14 youth (ages 8-18) while facilitating a diverse curriculum, including leadership development, sea kayak & outdoor skills training, environmental education, and more.
• Work with a co-guide and program leadership team to plan and facilitate quality outdoor programming in compliance with Rippleffect policies.
• Manage the inherent risk of the job and maintain industry safety standards for participants in the field.
• Adhere to all Maine state and CDC guidelines as it pertains to mask use, physical distancing, travel restrictions, and other Covid-19 mitigation practices and protocols. This may include Rippleffect policies and expectations that exceed state/CDC guidelines.
• Complete all necessary paperwork.
• Attend and complete all required staff training.
Compensation — Guide pay range is $125 to $145 per day. We also provide workers’ compensation insurance, equipment discounts and high quality staff training. Possible additional compensation for Single Pitch Instructors, or equivalent.
Training — Rippleffect provides a $40/day training stipend. Guides are conditionally hired until they have satisfactorily passed all necessary skills assessments during training. Training is from August 29th through September 9th excluding the weekend.
Duration —Per Diem work late August through late October, with the potential for work extended through the end of October. Scheduled hours are directly correlated to our enrollment and community contracts.
•Enthusiastic individuals who are committed to and have a passion for working with youth, and for living and working in the outdoors.
• Wilderness First Aid and CPR are required upon start date. Wilderness First Responder is strongly preferred.
• Applicants must be at least 17 years of age.
• Strong preference will be given to applicants who will commit to multiple seasons, are USCG licensed boat captains, Maine Sea Kayak & Recreation Guides, ACA coastal kayak instructors, SPI certified.
• Ability to constantly work in an outdoor setting, including but not limited to: rain, winds, heat, humidity, and cold temperatures.
•Ability to carry weights up to 60 pounds and participate in moderate to vigorous physical activity, including but not limited to: camping, sea kayaking, backpacking, climbing, ropes course.
•Comfort in and around a marine environment.
• Experience leading youth in an outdoor setting.
•Applicants must be open minded, flexible, and possess a growth-mindset.
Strong preference will be given to applicants:
-Willing to commit to multiple seasons
-USCG licensed boat captains
-Registered Maine Sea Kayak & Recreation Guides,
-ACA coastal kayak instructors or equivalent BCU.
Rippleffect is a wilderness education program based in Portland, Maine and on our Casco Bay Cow Island base camp. A non-profit, Rippleffect serves over 5,000 youth and another 1,000 adults through four seasons of wilderness adventures. Through day/overnight camps, kayaking and back packing expeditions, rock and ice climbing, alpine mountaineering, and back country skills clinics, we serve as an access point for beginner to expert for youth and adults.