Join Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Trail Crews!
Sequoia Trail Crew and Kings Canyon Trail Crew are both hiring multiple positions for our 2024 season. If you are interested in living and working in the beautiful wilderness of the Sierra Nevada, look no further. All skill levels are welcome, but a good attitude and willingness to learn are necessary.
– Live and work out of remote wilderness camps for up to 8 days or up to several weeks/months at a time.
– Load and unload supplies and materials from trucks, trailers, dollies, and pack animals etc.
– Maintain hiking trails, i.e., cutting back vegetation, cleaning drainage structures, clearing rockfall, and repairing trail and stock fences.
– Perform, strenuous manual labor such as digging ditches and trenches with pick and shovel where soil is hard and compact and must be graded or sloped, shoveling snow requiring significant endurance for sustained periods of time.
– Mix and pour concrete, asphalt and hot/cold mix and fills and levels holes in damages roads/trails.
– Construct and maintain trail structures such as retainer checks, bridges, turnpikes, retaining walls, waterbars, and swales.
– Moves heavily loaded wheelbarrows and hand trucks. Cuts heavy trees with axe or chainsaw, stacks heavy logs, lumber and sacks of cement or performs other duties.
Almost all of the incumbent’s work will be outside in all kinds of weather conditions, and involve the possibility of bruises, muscle strains, cuts and scrapes, and other injuries. Work requires the employee to follow proper safety procedures and use standard safety equipment to avoid serious injuries. At the grade 3 level the tasks involved may result in more serious injuries than at lower grade levels. The incumbent works the majority of time outdoors in temperatures ranging from 0 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter to excess of 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer.
Must be able to meet physical demands listed below.
Physical Demands: The work performed requires very heavy physical effort. The incumbent routinely lifts, pushes, pulls, and carries items weighing 50 pounds, and up to 150 pounds (or more) with assistance. Grade 3 laborers exert very heavy physical effort in doing such tasks as frequently lifting and moving objects weighing over 50 pounds.
About Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Trail Crews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are home to 2 of only 3 remaining backcountry programs featuring full-time seasonal, fully supported trail crews, allowing employees to live all summer in remote backcountry settings. We run multiple different crews that do a wide variety of trail work, including frontcountry trail crews as well.