TEENS, Inc.is a Nederland, Colorado based non-profit organization with the mission to support, educate and
empower youth and their families to make healthy choices and thrive. Chinook West is an alternative High School
serving youth who have struggled in the traditional school system. Please check out our website,
www.teensinc.org, to gain an understanding of our organization and its different facets!
The Outdoor Leadership Program Director (OLPD) Position at TEENS, Inc is an exciting opportunity to collaborate
within various programs across the TEENS, Inc. organization; both out of school activities (outdoor leadership and
recreation) and working with our alternative high school Chinook West. The OLPD will work directly with youth in
a supervisory role focused on building strong relationships and upholding high expectations. This is a direct service
position, meaning that the applicant should expect to be working directly with youth on average 30 hours per week.
Job Duties include the following:
● Support students in Chinook West through advising, teaching elective classes (3 to 6 per year), helping
prepare lunches, communicating with parents and students, and helping with field trips.
● Plan for and supervise outdoor activities and field trips for Chinook West High School students.
○ 3-5 night outdoor trip in Fall
○ 5 day winter sports program
○ 5-7 night outdoor trip in Spring
○ Teach classes at Chinook West related to outdoor education or leadership
● Plan and carry out afterschool climbing programs in the Spring and Fall.
● Develop and implement extended learning adventures ranging from 4 – 6 days long (2 – 3 times per
summer) for outdoor leadership (June-July).
● Plan and carry out outdoor experiences and day trips for teen center and youth employment participants.
● Keep gear and gear shed cleaned, maintained and organized.
● Outdoor leadership program marketing, outreach and evaluation.
o Full time
o Pay: $47,000-$52,000, plus great benefits including health, disability, and life insurance, 3 weeks PTO +
holidays, and 401K with up to 3% match.
o Position is based in Nederland, Colorado
o Start the beginning middle of July-beginning of August 2023
o This is a direct service position
Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid Certification
o Experience working outdoors in various weather conditions.
o Experience camping in a group setting and / or backpacking experience.
o SPI certification or willingness/climbing ability to get one.
o Interest and ability to be out on overnight trips 15-25 nights a year.
At least 1 year previous leadership experience with youth
o Ability to work collaboratively with co-leaders/workers
o Exceptional organizational, leadership and communication skills.
o Willingness to submit a driving record and ability to drive a 15-passenger van.
o High level of group management and facilitation skills
o Risk management and decision making proficiency
o Flexibility and adaptability
o Effective and inclusive leadership skills
o High capacity for communication and providing and accepting fee
Training and experience working with youth who come from a background of trauma, basic understanding
of trauma informed care.
● Basic knowledge of Positive Youth Development practices
About TEENS, Inc.
TEENS, Inc. is a Nederland, Colorado based non-profit organization with the mission to support, educate and empower youth and their families to make healthy choices and thrive. TeamWorks is a youth educational-based employment program which aims to connect young people with nature and community. TeamWorks combines a diverse group of youth from rural and urban areas to carry out projects alongside both public land managers and non-profits.