The Ecology School is an organization that works hard to practice what we teach and to teach with intention. Located at River Bend Farm in Saco, Maine, The Ecology School provides a variety of programming including conferences, workshops, camps, and school programs. Ecology Educators work primarily within our overnight and day ecology education programs for elementary and middle school students and provide immersive experiences for participants of all ages. We are committed to making every program empowering, informative, and fun for our participants and pour our hearts, energy, and time into our work.
Our strong, supportive community of Educators live nearby offsite for the entirety of the term, allowing an opportunity to make lifelong connections with people from all across the country. The Ecology School’s team works to maintain a strong support system to ensure that our staff can deliver their very best lessons. An integral part of our mission is to use laughter and storytelling as a key learning tool. This means our Educators are wearing costumes on a daily basis to perform educational skits and songs that help our students make connections.
We are seeking new members of our Educator team starting August 29 2022. A successful Educator is someone ready to invest their time and energy into making our community, programs, and the experiences of our visiting schools and participants the best that they can be. As an Educator, you will gain valuable teaching skills, as well as experience with, and insight into, a successful non-profit. We are looking for hard working individuals, who have a willingness to learn and desire to work with students as they develop their environmental and educational literacy.
A successful Educator invests their time, energy, and enthusiasm into providing exceptional programming and contributing to a dynamic and supportive community.
Compensation & Benefits
1. A starting salary of $450 per week. Returning Educators are eligible for additional compensation.
2. Free, furnished housing for the duration of employment, including weekends
3. Meals are provided during onsite school programming, supplemental food is provided for off-site programming, many dietary accommodations are available
4. Access to farm-fresh produce
7. Extensive training in outdoor education and imbedded staff development
8. Access to our private Saco River waterfront and boating equipment
9. Free Ecology School gear including a T-shirt, water bottle, stickers, field guide, and curriculum guide
10. Eligibility for Pro Deals
11. Free laundry
12. Available winter housing and employment opportunities with local schools
1. Experience designing and implementing lesson plans and adapting content to a wide variety of different learners.
2. A deeper understanding of your personal teaching style, strengths, and skillset through experience and feedback.
3. Connection to our extended community of professional environmental educators who make up
1. Willingness to be a strong contributor to a living and learning community of ecology educators.
2. Ability to work long, often strenuous hours, mostly outdoors, managing groups of children.
3. Ability to adapt and problem solve in-the-moment.
4. Experience working with K-8 aged children.
5. BS or BA degree or equivalent life/work experience.
6. Willingness to learn content and methodology and an openness to feedback.
About The Ecology School
The Ecology School inspires stewardship of and connection to the natural world through nature-based, living lessons about ecology, conservation, farming, and sustainability.