Flatwater guides at the Whitewater Center (Whitewater) are responsible for delivering a high-quality experience through kayaking and stand-up-paddleboarding on the Catawba river. All new guides will be provided with paid training and need no prior experience. This is a seasonal position that operates from March 2024 through October 2024. Availability to operate the entire season is not required but is highly preferred. Flatwater guides are part-time, on-site, and report to the Paddle Sports Manager.
• Serve as the resident expert of the facility and the products/services offered.
• Interact with guests in a positive manner at all times.
• Maintain a high level of professionalism while interacting with the public and employees.
• Provide guests with instruction on equipment and any necessary briefings.
• Answer questions and troubleshoot guest needs.
• Effectively communicate and enforce regulations and policies.
• Respond appropriately to all emergencies.
• Perform safety inspections on activities and equipment daily.
• Identify safety issues and communicate to management.
• Engage the chain-of-command as appropriate for assistance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• The minimum age requirement is 16 years of age.
• First Aid, CPR & AED certification required.
• Must be comfortable with working in and around water.
• Excellent verbal communication skills.
• Ability to use sound judgment with safety as a top priority.
• Ability to take direction and work without immediate supervision.
• Disposition toward continued learning and improvement.
• Participation in training and skills development as scheduled.
• Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and during other Whitewater events as needed.
• Applicants must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Must be able to work outdoors for sustained periods of time in all weather and environmental conditions.
• Must be able to lift and carry at least 50 pounds.
• Must be able to bend, stand, lean, and kneel on a regular basis and for sustained periods of time.
• Must be able to safely self-transport over uneven terrain or in a confined space.
• Must be able to work in shared spaces with other employees and customers.
• All positions as Whitewater require employees to report and work onsite at Whitewater locations.
• Access to the Whitewater Center’s pass activities
• Staff discount program and pro deals
About U.S. National Whitewater Center
The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is dedicated to the promotion of the active lifestyle. Since 2006, the USNWC has been promoting access to the outdoors for all levels of participants through its 30+ land and water-based activities, outdoor instruction and certification programs, festivals, races, films, and various outdoor events throughout the year. Whether you visit the Center’s 1,300 acres on the Catawba River or engage in the brand’s mission through one of our off-site initiatives, the USNWC empowers guests to play, relax, and learn outside.