The 4-H Learning Centers at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused outdoor education programs for Maine youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world. Tanglewood in Lincolnville, Maine has 900+ acres of forest, extensive hiking trails, and a pristine river with native Atlantic Salmon. Blueberry Cove, located on the ocean in Tenants Harbor, Maine, provides many outdoor opportunities including sailing and kayaking.
As an Environmental Educator, you will provide hands-on ecology immersion for students as part of our Open Air Classroom. All school programming is customized and highlights our Earth Connections curriculum and BEETLES teaching methodology. Programs work with students across grades K-12. As an Educator, you will develop and implement the program curriculum, schedules, and new projects.
We look for staff to join us for the entire program season April -early November, but we are open to discussing shorter one-season options or seasonal combinations.
Spring Appointment: Early April through early June 2024; educators focus on our Open Air Classroom programs with school, working primarily with 2nd-8th grade students in day and overnight programming at Tanglewood or supporting day and after school programs at Blueberry Cove.
Summer Appointment: Mid-June through mid-August 2024; educators serve in roles during summer programs, either as program leaders, day camp or overnight camp educators, or teen leadership instructors.
Fall Appointment: Mid-September through early November 2024; programs run similarly to the Spring season.
Goal: foster a sense of community between students and teachers that draws from the interconnectedness of the natural world; encourage curiosity in students through modeling your own curiosity for learning; and contribute to the further development of engaging and meaningful experiential programs.
– Develop and teach hands-on, ecology, STEM, group building, and outdoor skills-based lessons to grades K-12 for the day, overnight, and after-school programs
– Deliver programs in schools and at multiple sites, including our learning centers in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor, ME (some travel is required)
– Contribute ideas for the continual development of programs, interpretive trails, and educational displays
– Work independently and with staff to develop and maintain teaching resources
– Participate actively in staff training, ongoing professional development, and daily staff meetings to plan and evaluate programs
– Take part in routine tasks of cleaning and kitchen duties, gardening, general camp chores, and upkeep of program spaces to support the staff community
– Demonstrate responsible and safe decision-making skills in all aspects of outdoor programming
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Basic First Aid/CPR certification, complete upon arrival
- Hold a valid driver's license with the ability to drive camp vehicles, tow canoe trailers at times
- Experiential education experience with youth, preferably in an outdoor setting
- Knowledge of ecological concepts and natural history
- Ability to work in an active, outdoor environment in a variety of weather conditions
- Safely lead groups over various terrain (uneven ground, roots, uphill hiking), while carrying a small backpack with teaching and first aid supplies
Wilderness First Aid; lifeguard certification
About UMaine 4-H Center at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove
The UMaine 4-H Learning Centers at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused summer camps for youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world. Our mission is to teach and inspire people from Maine and beyond to be effective and caring citizens of the earth through affordable environmental education and fun nature-based experiences. We strive to develop lifelong skills and a sense of community spirit.