Seeking Wilderness Rangers for the South Zone of the Shoshone National Forest! The Wilderness Ranger schedule is to work for cycles of 8 days on and 6 days off throughout the field season (mid-June through the end of September). The eight-day wilderness hitches are spent in the backcountry, completely self-supported (with backpacks), with one other ranger.
WILDERNESS RANGER DUTIES INCLUDE:
• Campsite inventory, condition monitoring, and data collection on the Survey123 field program
• Campsite cleanup, naturalization, revegetation, and restoration
• Carrying out trash from wilderness
• Visitor use monitoring and data collection using the Survey123 field program
• Professionally contacting visitors, checking for compliance, and providing information/education on Forest regulations
• Assist in conducting Outfitter/Guide inspections
• Wilderness sign and trailhead kiosk maintenance
• Trail logout using handsaws and crosscut saws, and minor trail maintenance
• Setting up and retrieving trail counters
• May assist with Special Uses front-country Lands inspections
To be eligible you must be a U.S. citizen or national who is at least 18 years of age, and possess a valid driver's license.
• Physical fitness is required for hiking on- & off-trail over rough mountainous terrain at high elevations in various adverse weather conditions.
• Ability to hike 10 to 20 miles a day carrying 50+ lbs. while also conducting work duties along the route
• Previous hiking, backpacking, & wilderness camping experience is necessary.
• Ability to work & live in the backcountry for up to 8 days at a time, & in grizzly bear habitat.
• Professionalism when contacting visitors, including in high-use areas.
• Willingness to accept & manage risks associated with extreme weather events, stream crossings, driving mountainous roads, wildlife, exposure to hazards dangerous to health, biting/stinging insects, & other conditions
• Due to the remote, isolated location, it is important that the employee provides their own mode of transportation for personal time
• Perseverance, initiative, positive attitude, & enthusiasm to complete monotonous or difficult work & see the task, hitch, & season through to the end
About US Forest Service - Shoshone National Forest - Wind River and Washakie Ranger Districts
The South Zone of the Shoshone National Forest is comprised of the Washakie Ranger District (Lander, WY), and the Wind River Ranger District (Dubois, WY). Wilderness Rangers will work in the Popo Agie, Fitzpatrick, and Washakie Wilderness Areas. These wilderness areas are within the Wind River and Absaroka Mountains.