Overview

Canyonlands Field Institute (CFI) is a 501(c)( 3) nonprofit outdoor education organization and licensed outfitter in Moab, Utah. Live and work at our Professor Valley Field Camp (PVFC), as our Utah Conservation Corps AmeriCorps Site Steward. Be a part of CFI’s mission to provide quality outdoor education on the Colorado Plateau, to inspire care of wild places and renew the human spirit.

The Site Steward is based at the rustic Field Camp located 20 miles outside of Moab, Utah in a spectacular setting. The Camp is on leased 40 acres of private land surrounded by open spaces and incredible views. The Camp’s rustic facilities include outdoor kitchen, classroom yurt, sleeping tipis and metal storage barn. The Camp primarily hosts school field trips and periodic adult or family groups. The Site Steward will work in part on Utah Outdoor Recreation grant projects to improve access by adaptive sports and family groups. The Steward will assist food preparation and clean up for large groups and drive shuttles. Minimum age is 21 years for vehicle insurance requirements. Hours will average 40/week with some shorter and some longer weeks. Specific duties include:

Housing will be in a wall tent or RV. Cell coverage is possible but no wi-fi connection at the location. Steward will need own vehicle to access town for personal supplies and for internet and showers. Meals provided during CFI programs. Otherwise camp stove or RV kitchen available for own meal preparation. We request no pets and this is a tobacco free site.

Applicants should visit the CFI website (www.cfimoab.org) to see “who we are & what we do”, our mission statement, and images of the facility and our programs.

Duties:

*Approximately 60% of the duties will be related to improvements and grounds work funded by a Utah Office of Outdoor Recreation infrastructure grant. The remaining 40% will be duties in support of Environmental Education programs at the site.

Perform removal of invasive plants and utilize in permaculture berms, do new plantings, manage and monitor irrigation drip system.
Light facility upkeep such as culinary water testing, routine cleaning, organizing supplies.
Plan and lead short service learning with school groups (training provided.)
Assist camp cook upon occasion.
Drive crew shuttle for school one day river trips near Camp.
Assist with one or two public outreach events at the Camp.
Assist with data, photography and interviews for grant reporting and media coverage.

Training/Professional Development you will receive:

Organization mission, values, vision, long range plans
Field Camp Operations
Driver training including trailer handling (must be 21 years minimum for insurance.)
Permaculture, local flora, geology and history
Hand tools use including weed trimmers
Outfitter style camp cooking (online food handlers course cost provided.)
Volunteer/service learning management with children and adults
Assisting free time and evening activities with school groups.

Tagged as: Conservation, Cooks and Food Service, Support Staff, Teaching/Education

Required Skills:

Be a United States citizen, U.S. national, or a lawful permanent resident alien of the United States;
Have a high school diploma or GED or work towards obtaining one while in the program. It is a requirement to obtain a high school diploma or GED before one is eligible to use the Education Award.
Must be clear of any record on the National Sex Offender Public Registry. Must have a criminal record clear of any conviction(s) for murder.
Physical ability to lift 30 lb; ability to do manual labor

About Utah Conservation Corps

Utah Conservation Corps is an AmeriCorps program made up of members, staff, and partners dedicated to service to our community and environment. We engage in projects throughout the state of Utah that address goals relating to environmental conservation, leadership, education, and sustainability.

UCC AmeriCorps members have committed to a term of service for their country that may range from 3 months to a year. Our members are individuals seeking opportunities to give back, to improve the environment and explore the beauty of Utah's public lands. Many of our members are current students or recent graduates looking to gain experience in the fields of natural resource conservation, education, or social services.

Utah Conservation Corps is a program of Utah State University's Center for Community Engagement.

Application Instructions

TO APPLY – Please submit the following to Karla VanderZanden, [email protected] (note AMERICORPS in subject line.) Short cover letter Short resume Three references (include name, email, phone). Note that at least two should be employment-related. Copies of First Aid and driver license Declare any felony convictions

Company Website

http://ucc.usu.edu