The Whitewater Kayak Coordinator plays a key role in the oversight of scheduling, planning and management of the Whitewater Center’s whitewater kayaking instruction programs. As a member of the paddle sports leadership team, the coordinator will also assist in recruiting new team members, responding to emergency calls, executing winter programming activities, managing day-to-day operations, and project work as assigned. This position is a full-time, hourly role that reports directly to the Kayak Supervisor.
• Provide whitewater kayak instruction for guests.
• Maintain accurate knowledge of all instruction programs and assist guests into the correct booking for their skill level.
• Understand and manage the kayak instruction reservation process
• Assist in the daily management of kayak operations including meeting instructors and guests for instruction.
• Management of kayak instructor scheduling.
• Assist the Kayak Supervisor with the growth and the development of paddle sports instruction programming.
• Prior experience working within the paddle sports industry in an operations or logistics role.
• A minimum of 2 years of class iii kayak instruction experience and/or an ACA Level 4 Kayak Instructor Certification.
• Current ACA Swiftwater Rescue Certification
• Excellent communication and guest interaction skills.
• Proficiency with the Microsoft Office software suite.
• Current First Aid and CPR certifications.
• Must be able to teach kayak lessons comfortably in class III whitewater.
• Ability to lift 75 pounds.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to walk and ride, independently, up to a mile on uneven terrain.
• Access to Whitewater Center’s pass activities
• Staff discount program and pro deals
• Health, Dental, Vision, FSA
Overview of Department
The Outdoor Activities Department is responsible for leading and supporting experiences in a variety of water and land-based sports. The department also instructs guests through the Whitewater Center’s Outdoor School and Summer Camps. Outdoor Activities employees engage with guests through an assortment of pass activities and help create memorable outdoor experiences.
Working at Whitewater
Whitewater’s mission is rooted in the belief that we all share a genetic code that compels us to play outside and share these experiences with others. This mission is accomplished through promoting access and opportunities to play outside and bring people together. Our approach is simple: Make it compelling and easy to engage with nature and invite others to join.
About Whitewater Center
The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is dedicated to the promotion of the active lifestyle. Since 2006, the USNWC has been promoting access to the outdoors for all levels of participants through its 30+ land and water-based activities, outdoor instruction and certification programs, festivals, races, films, and various outdoor events throughout the year. Whether you visit the Center’s 1,300 acres on the Catawba River or engage in the brand’s mission through one of our off-site initiatives, the USNWC empowers guests to play, relax, and learn outside.