At Wilderness Inquiry, we believe that everyone belongs. We work to ensure this belief holds true in our workplace, in our community, and in the outdoors. We pursue this belief through our mission and shared values of paddling together, seeking the exceptional, and finding a way. Outdoor Leaders create the magic at WI, creating life changing outdoor experiences for adults, youth, and families of all backgrounds and abilities. Our extended trip team of Outdoor Leaders predominantly lead trips in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Voyageurs National Park, Superior Hiking Trail, and the St. Croix and Namekagon rivers in Wisconsin. These destinations are almost all located in a backcountry setting and require significant outdoor expertise to ensure safety and quality of programming. Most extended trips are 3-12 days in duration. We recognize that as an industry, there is much to do to increase representation in our field to reflect the communities we aim to serve. We also know that diversity of identities, experiences and ways of thinking result in better solutions for our communities. For this reason, we especially encourage applicants from communities who experience systemic barriers – including people of color, women, LGBTQIA+ and people with disabilities – to apply for this position.
– May 25th – June 3rd, 2022: Required Training (see schedule in TRAINING section below)
– June – September: Main programming season consisting of extended overnight trips with optional local Canoemobile day programming.
– September – October: Opportunities to continue with local Canoemobile day programs as well as transition to regional and national Canoemobile tours.
On-Trail Technical Skills & Safety
– Assess participant ability and expectations to safely and effectively meet their needs while providing a fun and rewarding experience.
– Provide emergency first aid and conduct and/or assist in back-country medical issues including evacuations.
– Care for and use of outdoor and camping equipment while in the backcountry.
– Proficiently perform and teach activities/skills conducted on Wilderness Inquiry trips including navigating routes in the front and backcountry, cooking, canoeing, hiking, camping, etc.
– Safely drive a 15-passenger van pulling a loaded trailer in all weather and road conditions (contingent upon driver eligibility).
Pre-Trip Prep & Post-Trip Paperwork
– Lead and/or actively participate in event specific pre-trip meetings and post-trip debriefings with your team.
– Collaborate and coordinate with operations staff to pack-in and pack-out gear and food accordingly.
– Complete post-trip paperwork including evaluations, incident reports, and trip summaries.
Required Certifications (or ability to obtain- Wilderness Inquiry frequently sponsors courses before seasonal training):
-Basic First Aid & CPR Certification (Wilderness First Aid (WFA), Wilderness First Responder (WFR), or higher preferred)
- Wilderness Water Safety or Lifeguard/Professional Rescuer
- Current Driver’s License and a safe driving record dating back at least five years
Complete COVID-19 vaccines are mandated for all staff and interns. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On a regular occasion the employee may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. Must be able to lift and carry heavy loads up to 50lbs over rough terrain for distances of up to 1,000 feet.
About Wilderness Inquiry
Wilderness Inquiry’s mission is to connect people from all walks of life to the natural world through shared outdoor adventures. Through the medium of outdoor adventure travel, we inspire personal growth, enhanced awareness of the environment and community integration. Wilderness Inquiry is all about access, inclusion, and opportunity. We believe exploration of the natural world is a birthright we all share, and we act on that belief. We operate in a manner that facilitates full participation by everyone, including people of all ages, background, and abilities.