The kitchen manager will oversee the kitchen staff and server roles includes assisting in the preparation of healthy and nutritious meals for participants, maintaining appropriate health standards, and serving. The kitchen manager ensure staff sets and clears tables, washes dishes and performs other cleaning as needed in the kitchen. Kitchen Managers will plan menus including some dietary restrictions and order supplies needed. Being a kitchen manager with experience working with food allergies and a diverse population a plus!
Kitchen Manager hours may include early mornings (breakfast), afternoons (lunch), evenings (dinner), and some weekends may be required depending on the kitchen needs.
As a kitchen manager you must enjoy a fun and interactive work environment, live entertainment (camp songs, etc.), and a lot of kid questions! Kitchen Manager does not need to stay overnight at camp.
1. Job Summary:
The Kitchen Manager ensures that high quality and nutritional food is provided to participants and guests. The incumbent provides an environment which supports the vision of growing and building relationships in a healthy setting. The incumbent manages the kitchen operation within the established budget and maintains the highest standards of health and sanitation possible. The incumbent supervises kitchen staff, the ordering and preparation of food, and menu planning.
2. Essential Functions:
· Develops menu plans that support healthy, nutritious meals and comply with Nourish standards while providing menu options for a wide variety of dietary needs and restrictions.
· Maintains an appropriate inventory of food supplies while working with food providers to ensure quality of food supplies.
· Prepares or oversees the preparation and delivery of meals.
· Develops and enforces safety and cleanliness protocols.
· Utilizes leftover food in meal preparations as appropriate and safe to minimize waste.
· Hires, trains, schedules and supervises kitchen staff to meet kitchen needs.
· Maintains positive relationships with staff and volunteers which support the Y’s vision.
· Practices personal hygiene and cleanliness in handling food
This position reports to the Food Service Manager. The incumbent may supervise kitchen staff. The incumbent regularly interacts with participants, the general public, staff, and volunteers.
· Minimum age of 18.
· Adult and Pediatric First Aid & CPR/AED provided by YMCA or other certified organization (can be obtained upon hire if needed)
· Minimum of three (3) years of experience working in food service preparation and delivery
· Minimum of one (1) year of experience managing a commercial kitchen to include supervision or work direction to kitchen staff
· Demonstrated experience providing high quality, tasty menu planning while implementing Nourish standards
· Maintains and enforces clean and safe kitchen work areas, stockroom, freezer, refrigerator, dining room, dish room and loading dock in accordance with State of Minnesota/ Wisconsin health regulations.
· Food Safe Certification by the county Public Health Department or the ability to obtain the certification.
· Effective verbal communication skills
· Basic computer skills
· Ability to and desire work to with diverse groups, including young people
· Knowledge of kitchen equipment operation
· Post-secondary education in nutrition
About YMCA of the North
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
YMCA of the North team members exemplify the association’s mission, vision and values – caring, equity, honesty, respect and responsibility – as well as the association’s commitment to diversity and inclusion for those within and outside of the organization. Team members demonstrate cultural competencies and respect for all people’s backgrounds and incorporate cultural, linguistic and familial values and beliefs into programming and organizational culture.
The YMCA of the North is committed to developing plans and strategies to ensure team members and volunteers reflect the demographics of communities being served, as well as providing team members with opportunities for learning and development to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion competencies.