Outdoor Educators at the Whitewater Center are responsible for implementing a variety of educational programs for students from kindergarten through 12th grade. Most programs are scheduled for the spring and the fall, so Educators are free and encouraged to explore employment in other departments during the summer months. Educators are on-site and work a variable, part-time schedule, reporting to the Outdoor School Supervisor.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Maintain a safe, educational, and enjoyable atmosphere during environmental education and team building programs.
• Learn and facilitate lesson plans pertaining to environmental education and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) topics.
• Manage groups of up to 30 students at a time and ensure quality supervision during programs.
• Effectively communicate with chaperones.
• Maintain accurate knowledge of activities, products, and services offered by the Whitewater center.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Prior experience teaching in a formal or informal setting for students from kindergarten through 12th grade.
• Background in Environmental Education, Environmental Science, Earth Science, Biology, or another related field.
• Highly motivated and energetic with an outgoing personality.
• Possess strong communication skills.
• Weekday availability is required. This position is part-time, Monday through Friday in the following months: March through June & August through November
• Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and other Whitewater events as needed.
• A North Carolina Environmental Education Certification or current work towards certification.
• Must be able to work outdoors for sustained periods of time in all weather and environmental conditions.
• Must be able to lift and carry at least 50 pounds.
• Must be able to bend, stand, lean, and kneel on a regular basis and for sustained periods of time.
• Must be able to safely self-transport over uneven terrain or in a confined space.
• Must be able to work in shared spaces with other employees and customers.
• All positions as Whitewater require employees to report and work onsite at Whitewater locations.
• Access to the Whitewater Center’s pass activities
• Staff discount program and pro deals
About U.S. National Whitewater Center
The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is dedicated to the promotion of the active lifestyle. Since 2006, the USNWC has been promoting access to the outdoors for all levels of participants through its 30+ land and water-based activities, outdoor instruction and certification programs, festivals, races, films, and various outdoor events throughout the year. Whether you visit the Center’s 1,300 acres on the Catawba River or engage in the brand’s mission through one of our off-site initiatives, the USNWC empowers guests to play, relax, and learn outside.