The Marketing & Outreach Assistant advances community awareness of and participation with North Cascades Institute by representing our mission, values and programs through online promotions, community events and assisting the marketing department. They are responsible for reaching prospective participants, donors and partners through the strategic coordination of events and outreach activities, including creating and sharing social media content and blog posts; tracking and distributing print materials; posting Institute programs on community calendars, listservs and FB groups; and assisting with our retail operations. This position is mostly remote; hours are flexible and may include occasional weeknights and weekends.
This is a regular part-time, non-exempt position at 25 hours per week. The wage is $17.00 per hour.
We offer a competitive compensation package. Benefits are prorated for employees working less than 40 hours per week; this position will accrue prorated benefits. While working 25 hours per week, this position will earn:
• Sick Leave – 5 hours per month
• Vacation Leave – 6.25 days per year in the first year
• Holiday Pay – 7.5 holidays per year
• Service Days – 2 days per year
• Tax-deferred annuity and contribution retirement plan (for positions that work over 20 hours per week)
• Yearly stipend to participate in Institute programs
Late May-Early June 2023
• Create content for social media, Google Business and blogs to promote Institute programs and priorities
• Promote Institute programs on community calendars, listservs and Facebook groups
• Work with marketing team on lead generation, data capture and follow-up, including leads generated during outreach activities, retail store leads and others
• Assist with managing and stocking print materials at regional locations and work with Marketing Coordinator to track quantities and reorders
EVENTS AND OUTREACH
• Public speaking to represent the Institute and our programs at in-person and online community events
• Assist with participation in outreach opportunities that support community awareness and diversification of participations served by Institute programs
• Create and maintain a calendar of outreach opportunities to attend and promote Institute programs at events, fairs, and conferences such as Summer Camp Fairs, Village Books events, Pickford Film Center, Ski to Sea, Salmon Festival, Earth Day Fairs, etc.
• Analyze and report on effectiveness of outreach activities; make recommendations for adjusting efforts and budget
• Work with Retail Manager to improve and promote online store, including product photography
• Represent the Institute in potential tabling opportunities at retail outlets in summer, such as Heather Meadows
• Brainstorm new initiatives to infuse marketing in retail outlets
• Help keep marketing materials stocked in retail outlets
• Serve as substitute help for retail outlets
• Must own reliable transportation and be available to drive around Whatcom and Skagit counties (occasionally furhter); mileage reimbursed
• Driving record check must have no more than one moving violation in the past three years, no DUI, reckless driving, or serious moving violations, etc.
• Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search.
• Excellent written and in-person communications
• Experience with social media marketing, including creating content, cross-platform promotions and tracking metrics
• Fluency in using the features of Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms to engage our followers and track results
• Experience with public speaking to represent the Institute and our programs
• Effective at managing a diversity of projects and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
About North Cascades Institute
North Cascades Institute's mission is to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Since 1986, we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.
North Cascades Institute is a respected leader among U.S. environmental education organizations, and we believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 15 four-star ratings with Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.