NW Discoveries runs 1-day to 7-day outdoor adventure trips. Most of our trips are 7 days and work closely with Road Scholar, a travel education provider focusing on older populations. Activities that we provide include, hiking, bicycling, snowshoeing, x-c skiing and many others. Our Road Scholar trips include hiking, bicycling and raft supported hiking. We employ guides who possess the maturity, warmth, integrity, leadership skills, work ethic and outdoor knowledge necessary to conduct top-notch outdoor trips.
We are looking for guides who will be contracted for specific trips during the summer/fall (3-8 trips total). There is the possibility for additional trips/work as well. Bike trips take place in Idaho on the rails to trails system, outside of Wallace, ID and hiking trips take place around Mt Hood/Columbia River Gorge near Portland, OR.
Guides will work mostly our longer trips, but may be asked to fill in on an occasional day trip as well. Season length varies, but typically runs from early or mid-May through mid to late-September, and occasionally into early to mid-October. There is the possibility for additional work through our partner company, Oregon River Experiences; this could include hiking guide on Rogue River trail, shuttle for river trips and other duties.
We think that guiding is one of the best jobs you can imagine. You get to be outside in beautiful natural settings and share fun and adventure with a variety of interesting people. But guiding also involves plenty of hard work and long hours. The work is fun and rewarding, but it can be physically and mentally demanding as well.
At least 18 years of age
2+ years of outdoor trip leading (hiking, biking, winter trips, outdoor education)
Current First Aid and CPR certifications (or more advanced certifications)
Knowledge of Pacific NW plants, trees, flowers, animals
Ability to present educational lessons, interpretive history, and other programming
Pass driver background check and drive 15 passenger van with guests
• Conduct high quality, safe outdoor trips
• Treat guests and fellow NWD employees with courtesy and respect
• Contribute to a positive, supportive team atmosphere
• Arrive to work promptly as scheduled
• Drive company vehicles safely
• Assist guests with equipment basic needs
• Promote sales of future trips as appropriate
• Comply with terms of employment contract
• Conform to company policies as described in the Employment Agreement and the NWD Guide’s Handbook
• Engage guests in friendly conversation both on and off the trail
• Cook all the meals on the NWD menu as needed
• Basic bike repair skills (flat tire, chain and etc)
• Pack equipment carefully, and unpack, clean and put away all trip gear after trip
• Participate in any pre trip guide meetings, as well as post-trip guide debriefings
• Present short interpretive presentations to guests on the trail and formal presentation with AV abilities in the evening
About NW Discoveries
NWD has been offering outdoor adventure trips since 1996. Our trips are for people of all ages, skills, and abilities. Our specialty is introducing the first timer and beginner to the joys of the outdoors. NW Discoveries provides all the planning, logistics, transportation, and experienced leaders to let you discover the wonderful northwestern outdoors.
NW Discoveries offers several hiking programs through Road Scholar, an organization that does educational programs for adults 55 years and older. For more information see our multiple day trip offerings.
We provide a safe and enjoyable adventure where you meet new people, participate in an outdoor activity, and learn about our surroundings. Participants’ safety and satisfaction are our top priorities.
We also work with many other programs such as park & recreation districts, colleges and youth groups. We also specialize in small group private adventures.
NWD also works closely with their partner company Oregon River Experiences.