Rippleffect offers day and overnight camp programs, wilderness treks, and youth leadership programs. Additionally, we offer spring and fall orientation programs for school and community groups as well as adult programs and events. Applicants’ schedules will primarily be made up of our Aucocisco Day Camp programs, though they may include our Classic Cow Overnight Camps based on performance in Rippleffect training. Applicants should expect a schedule of work that will include full weekdays, and may include some overnights and the occasional weekend work.
• Manage and mentor groups of 7-14 youth (ages 8-15) while facilitating a diverse curriculum, including leadership development, ropes course facilitation, sea kayak & outdoor skills training, environmental education, and more.
• Work with a co-guide and program leadership team to facilitate quality outdoor programming in compliance with Rippleffect policies.
• Manage the inherent risk of the job and maintain industry safety standards for participants in the field as outlined in Rippleffect policies.
• Complete all necessary paperwork.
• Attend and complete all required staff training.
• Work a minimum of 8 out of 9 weeks of our summer programming (from 6/24-8/23).
Compensation — Guide pay range is $130 to $150 per day. We also provide workers’ compensation insurance, equipment discounts and high quality staff training.
Training — Rippleffect provides a $40/day training stipend. Guides are conditionally hired until they have satisfactorily demonstrated all necessary skills during training.
Duration —Per Diem work mid-June through late August. Our 2024 summer program season will run from 6/24-8/23. Scheduled hours are directly correlated to our enrollment and community contracts.
Contact — The Rippleffect Team email: [email protected]; phone: (207) 791-7870
• We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who are committed to and have a passion for working with youth. These individuals must also have a passion for living and working in the outdoors.
• Wilderness First Aid and CPR are required upon start date.
• All applicants must be at least 17 years of age.
• Ability to constantly work in an outdoor setting, including but not limited to: rain, winds, heat, humidity, and cold temperatures.
•Ability to carry weights up to 60 pounds and participate in moderate to vigorous physical activity, including but not limited to: camping, sea kayaking, island hikes, ropes course.
• Ability to move across varied terrain for the full duration of the work period.
• Comfort in and around a marine environment.
• Experience leading youth in a group setting.
Rippleffect is an outdoor education program based in Portland, Maine and on our Casco Bay Cow Island base camp. A non-profit, Rippleffect serves over 5,000 youth through four seasons of outdoor adventures in an array of programming. Through partnerships with local schools, our after-school program, summer camps, kayaking and back packing expeditions, rock and ice climbing, and alpine mountaineering, we serve as an access point for youth in our community.