The 4-H Camps at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused summer camps for Maine youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world.
Camp Counselor Goal: Model respectful and supportive community living while ensuring the fun and safety of all. Model/support an accepting and respectful community where all can grow and learn to live responsibly in balance with the Earth.
Overnight Camp Counselor Responsibilities:
– Live in a cabin with campers and, along with a co-counselor, create the necessary atmosphere for a positive camp experience (staff/camper ratio = 1: 4-8)
– Engage actively with campers during lessons, recreation, evening programs, and meal times.
– Assist in teaching a 2.5-hour morning program focus.
– Plan, lead, and teach four one-hour afternoon “elective” activities each week.
Day Camp Counselor Responsibilities:
– Assist with planning and delivery of hands-on natural history and outdoor skills, lessons, games, and activities. Topics such as the water cycle, insects, birds, marine, forest, and freshwater ecology are taught through exploration, games, puppetry, art, songs, and stories.
– Engage actively with campers during lessons, recreation, and meal times.
– Support the Day Camp Educators in welcoming parents, providing a safe atmosphere, and doing other duties as assigned.
– Participate fully in staff training and meetings, and contribute to the ongoing improvement of the camp program.
– Role model healthy living, positive energy, clear communication, and stewardship for the environment.
– Supervise and ensure the safety of campers at all times.
– Help to plan and carry out other camp activities: evening programs, special days, and opening and closing ceremonies.
– Participate in community chores, meal service, and miscellaneous maintenance duties as required.
– Responsibly follow all community health-related protocols during working and non-working hours.
Dates and Compensation:
June 16-August 16, 2024
$400/week (pre-tax) with increases dependent on experience, certifications and responsibilities, additional bonus for the addition of overnight responsibilities
Includes rustic, shared housing, meals, laundry, and internet access
Completed senior year in high school or high school equivalent or be 18 years of age at the start of the camp season (or have permission to work from the Director).
Motivation to work with children in a high-energy, outdoor setting.
Must demonstrate responsible and safe decision-making skills in all aspects of outdoor camp programming.
Previous camp or related experience working with youth.
Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain, carrying a small backpack with teaching supplies and
Wilderness First Aid certification
About UMaine 4-H Center at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove
The UMaine 4-H Learning Centers at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused summer camps for youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world. Our mission is to teach and inspire people from Maine and beyond to be effective and caring citizens of the earth through affordable environmental education and fun nature-based experiences. We strive to develop lifelong skills and a sense of community spirit.