The 4-H Camps at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused summer camps for Maine youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world.
As an Overnight Camp Educator, you’ll spend your weeks working with youth aged 8-14 in an outdoor setting. Staff work in teams to plan and lead morning focus programs, afternoon electives, and evening programs (creative arts, STEM, archery, general ecology, gardening & cooking, marine ecology, wilderness skills, 4-H Hunter Safety, conservation education, and drama are examples of potential themes).
As a Day Camp Educator, you’ll spend your days working with youth ages 5-11 in an outdoor setting. Day Camp Staff work in teams to plan and lead hands-on, engaging programming that encourages community, creativity, and respect for one another and the environment.
Overnight Camp Educator Responsibilities:
– Live in a cabin with campers and, along with a co-counselor, create the necessary atmosphere for a safe and positive camp experience (staff/camper ratio = 1:4-8).
– Plan, implement and evaluate a hands-on curriculum for youth in a week-long, morning program (8-16 youth per group, 1:8 ratio max).
– Help to plan and carry out camp activities such as afternoon elective programming (teaching 1 lesson per day), special events, opening and closing ceremonies, evening programs, campfires, etc.
– Actively engage with campers during all program activities, cabin times, and mealtimes.
Day Camp Educator Responsibilities:
– Work in a team to develop, coordinate, and implement daily camp programs that offer hands-on environmental learning for campers ages 5-11. Activities will be offered in outdoor and indoor areas and topics may include gardening, ecology, watersheds, art, drama, STEM, music, and cooperation. Topics can be taught through exploration, games, puppetry, art, songs, and stories.
– Welcome parents and provide communication regarding schedules, individual campers, safety, behaviors, etc.
– Work closely with the camp team in all programming to create the necessary atmosphere for a positive camp experience.
– Supervise and ensure the safety of campers at all times.
– Help manage and maintain supplies, equipment, and living spaces in a way that ensures equitable, safe, and sanitary use in an organized and respectful manner.
– Role model healthy living, positive energy, clear communication, and good stewardship for the environment.
– Participate in staff meetings, community chores, and miscellaneous maintenance duties as required.
Dates and Compensation:
June 16-August 16, 2024
$450/week (pre-tax) with increases dependent on experience, certifications and responsibilities; additional bonus added for overnight responsibilities
Includes rustic, shared housing, meals during program sessions, laundry, and internet access
High school diploma or equivalent
Minimum 2 years previous camp or related experience working with youth; for day camp specifically in early childhood education.
First Aid and Basic Life Support certification or the ability to get certification.
Ability to work with children in a high-energy outdoor setting with long hours.
Demonstrate responsible and safe decision-making skills in all aspects of outdoor camp programming.
Capability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain (camp trails and facility), while carrying a small backpack with teaching and first aid supplies.
About UMaine 4-H Center at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove
The UMaine 4-H Learning Centers at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused summer camps for youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world. Our mission is to teach and inspire people from Maine and beyond to be effective and caring citizens of the earth through affordable environmental education and fun nature-based experiences. We strive to develop lifelong skills and a sense of community spirit.