SUMMARY OF POSITION
At North Cascades Institute (NCI), we take pride in serving high quality and nourishing meals to our program participants, staff and guests. To help maintain and grow this standard, NCI is seeking a qualified Cook to join our kitchen team. Based out of the Institute’s field campus in North Cascades National Park, this position supports food service at the Institute’s Environmental Learning Center (ELC). The jobsite is in a remote National Park which can experience snow-covered roads, avalanches, wildfire, smoke, wild animals, and flooding. This is a seasonal, full time position supervised by the Food Service Supervisor.
● Prepares meals on a daily basis, served buffet-style.
● Maintains all health and food safety standards and procedures consistent with applicable food safety regulations.
● Maintains exemplary standards of cleanliness in the dining hall, kitchen and walk-in.
● Assists in ware-washing.
● Actively participates in our recycling program.
● Resolves customer complaints, disputes or grievances while providing excellent customer service and sensitivity to participant needs.
● Participates in general staff responsibilities such as staff meetings, hands to work, and risk management.
● Occasional participation in Marketing and Development projects: photography, blog posts, etc.
● Other duties as assigned by the Food Service Supervisor.
This is a seasonal, full-time, non-exempt position. The pay rate is $20.00-$22.00 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience. This position is subject to a $1 increase for utilizing non-NCI housing. The job location for this position is at the Environmental Learning Center.
BENEFITS- include the following:
● Paid holidays: 8 days
● Sick leave: ~8 hours per month
● Vacation leave: 4 days
● Service Days: 2 days per year
● Ability to participate in Institute pro deals
● Yearly stipend to participate in Institute programs.
Benefits are prorated for employees working less than 40 hours per week. Employees are responsible for their own health insurance.
This is a bargaining unit position represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, District Lodge 751. All terms and conditions of employment are subject to change in accordance with a collective bargaining agreement.
Subsidized housing available. Private rooms in shared houses are often available. In some cases, roommates in shared rooms may be required.
February 20, 2024
February 20 – December 15, 2024
● One year or more of professional food service experience, or equivalent.
● Ability to accommodate a varied work schedule including longer days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
● Reliable transportation to and from work.
● Ability to work with diverse or underrepresented populations.
● Previous food service experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities.
● Recycling, composting and waste handling experience.
● Basic first aid.
About North Cascades Institute
North Cascades Institute's mission is to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Since 1986, we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.
North Cascades Institute is a respected leader among U.S. environmental education organizations, and we believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 15 four-star ratings with Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.