Join Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Trail Crews!
Sequoia Trail Crew and Kings Canyon Trail Crew are both hiring multiple positions for our 2024 season. If you are interested in living and working in the beautiful wilderness of the Sierra Nevada, look no further. All skill levels are welcome, but a good attitude and willingness to learn are necessary.
– Maintain trails to standard by cleaning water bars, removing excess rock on tread, brushing, cutting trail edge berm, digging dip drains and clears trail of trees, obstacles and debris.
– Laying out and constructing new trail in rocky, mountainous terrain, and in performing landscape restoration of abandoned trails.
– Operate rock drills, chain saws, winches and powered equipment.
– Removing windfalls, felling trees, and utilizing block, tackle, and winches for moving and placing heavy objects
– Construct water bars, retaining bars, causeway, dry/wet rock retaining wall and rip-rap.
– Routinely assist trail leaders in supervising crew members in the concepts and techniques of trail work and back country living ethics.
– Assigned to isolated back country locations for periods of 4 to 14 weeks at a time.
– Applicant must be able to work and live cooperatively with other individuals under primitive conditions for prolonged periods of time.
The typical seasonal entry-on-duty period is April through October but can be variable during these months due to weather conditions, project needs, or funding.
**Anticipated Entry on Duty: May 2024.**
Must meet physical demands listed below.
Frequently lifts and carries objects weighing over 100 pounds, must carry and roll rocks and logs, move rocks of several tons with rock bars, use hammers to crush or shape rock, and use shovel extensively. Frequently hikes up to 20 miles daily and must be able to do so while carrying a backpack, power and/or hand tools.
- Have the ability to live and work effectively in backcountry areas in close contact with small numbers of people for extended periods of time.
- Live and work out-of-doors on projects in various terrain up to 13,000 feet elevation in all extremes of adverse weather conditions.
About Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Trail Crews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are home to 2 of only 3 remaining backcountry programs featuring full-time seasonal, fully supported trail crews, allowing employees to live all summer in remote backcountry settings. We run multiple different crews that do a wide variety of trail work, including frontcountry trail crews as well.